I dont want my daughter to have chocolate or peanut butter till she is 2. I'm a crazy?

My daughters doctor told me that it would be best to keep her off food till she was 6 months. So I did and my mother in law kept trying to correcting me saying she feed her kids nothing but food since 3 months. Well now I don't want my daughter to have candy, chocolate, peanut butter or anything with a lot of sugar and yet again she makes me look like a crazy person infront of my family and even strangers. With most of the population having trouble with their weight I just want my daughter to fall in love with her fruits and veggies instead of throwing fits if I don't give her a candy bar.

baby_bump_2008

Asked by baby_bump_2008 at 6:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Peanut butter is a great source of protein for children. I don't give my daughter chocolate, candy or juice.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I didn't give my youngest anything but breast milk til he was 8 months old. At that point he went to solids, not baby food. My oldest was a different story, but only because he was to big and needed more than milk. He was 6.5 months when he started on rice cerial. But I did not deny them other foods once they were eating solids. If we ate it, so did the kids. There is nothing wrong with chocolate or peanut butter, in fact both can be very healthy. If Peanut butter allergies run in either side of the family, you should wait until they are at least a year to introduce it, however if they don't the chances of your child having the allergy only increase when you wait. Both of my kids had peanut butter under a year old, and both are happy and very healthy today. Chocolate on the other hand I don't know when I gave them. But I know it had to be under 2... around 18months I would guess.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Meh it's your choice, no body elses. Giving them chocolate before they are 2 isnt' going to make them constantly crave sweets. Some kids have a sweet tooth, others don't. I didbn't let my kids have a lot of candy when they were tots, I never kept it in my house, but they both still have sweet tooths. Also my kids loved peanut butter, but that is full of protien so I had no worries letting them have that. Infact my daughter was so picky when she was 2 that peanut butter was basicly her only source of protien lol. Thing is, is that she is your daughter. You have to do what you think is best for her, not what everybody else things. When it comes to babies, one size does NOT fit all. What worked for my kids isn't going to work for others, so tell your MIL to butt out!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 6:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I totally agree with you and I think you are doing a great thing for your child. Being healthy and making healthy choices for your daughter is never a bad thing. Stand your ground with your family and do what is best for her. Good for you!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 6:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• The key is not to deny, but to teach all things in moderation. If you set a schedule and stick to it, only allowing her sweets once a day or every few days there is no reason to keep them from her. My kids were never kept from sweets and they both LOVE fruit. Veggies are a different story, but only because their father throws a fit if I make them, not because they themselves don't like them. And I honestly don't remember the last time my kids when an entire day without sweets. Usually Chocolate! Which by the way DOES have good and healthy qualities to it, even for children!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I don't think you are crazy. You are doing what you think is right for your child. Like the other poster said peanut butter is a great source of protein. I don't think that would be bad of you to give her but thats your choice. I do give my daugher candy, chocolate etc every once in awhile but she just gets to hyper to have it all the time.
    ElMysMama

Answer by ElMysMama at 6:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I agree with you too OP. I am the same way and I have heard so much BS from people just because I refuse to give her those types of foods until a certain age, and even then in moderation. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing this but don't think that people will ever shut up about it. Its amazing how people even family think they don't have to respect you and keep pushing their unwanted opinions on you. It will take along time for it to stop if at all but stand your groundm make sure you tell them you don't want to hear it and not to question your parenting skills, as it is offensive. Good luck!!
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 6:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My main problem is my mother in law. I remember her telling me a story about how she almost killed this woman for giving her son (my husband) a sucker at 9 months old but yet she has a photo of my daughter on facebook with one in her mouth. I couldnt believe it. She knows how I feel and then just posted it for everyone to see, even me.
    baby_bump_2008

Answer by baby_bump_2008 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I think as long as you aren't over or under feeding your child, you're doing fine. There's nothing wrong with teaching your child to make healthy choices. Peanut butter is healthy in moderation. It's not right for your MIL to put you on blast and talk to you like you don't know what you're doing with your child. What worked for her may not work for you. We all have different things that we're okay with, and she should understand that. If she doesn't, I recommend talking to her about it.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 6:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Good for you! Ignore everyone else, you know what's best
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2010