Do you think teens can be great parents?

Sure they may not have as much experience. But I think if they are driven and motivated they can beat the odds. Not saying you should have a baby in your teens, just that they aren't doomed! Your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, they can be GREAT parents. They face many hardships being teen parents but they can do it just like older parents.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I think it is a very rare teenagrer today who is mature enough to parent. Not saying it is impossible, but it is highly unlikely that they would be "great" parents.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I think being a good or bad parent is based on your personality, patience, things like that, rather than your age. I would still say that it is a bad idea to have a kid while still in your teens, simply b/c you're still trying to finish school, figure out who you are, get your life together, things like that. It makes it much tougher, both to be a teen and to be a mom. I'm not a teen mom myself (I was 22 when I had my oldest), but just speaking from the experience of how hard it has been as an adult with *most* of my life put together, I have to give serious credit to the teens that do have kids and do a good job with motherhood.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I was a teen mom, and I am a GREAT parent.
    Anonymous

• I know a few teen moms that are doing okay, but they have things kind of difficult. But in the long run I thik they will be okay. Women had children at 15 and were married and made it through. In some countries at that age you are WOMAN enough to have a child. I think now a days our kids aren't always as responsilbe as other societies either.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I was 18 when I had my daughter. I gave up my whole life for her! I dropped all of my friends since all they ever did was party, I graduated high school and I am very mature for my age. I was given a hard hand to deal with due to all of her medical problems. But I made it! I am married to my high school sweet heart! We have been together for 8 years on the 12th! I do see why so many people stereo type "teenage pregnancies" .. I have gotten so P***D off at some when I see them using their children for attention.. or just pawning them off on their parents so they can party all the time... I don't have much respect for those teen moms at all. But yet their are older mom's that are just as bad! It is more of a maturity level!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Well. I tend to question the credentials of ANYONE who claims to be a "great" parent. We are all flawed, regardless of age, education, economic standing, or religion.

Unfortunately MOST of us fail miserably, I would never condone teen pregnancy or parenthood... But since it is a hardship that I have personally experienced, and I have managed to turn out one highly functioning child (just tested for the gifted math & science programs, and EXCELLED! yay!), who out reads most 7th graders I know (she's in 3rd)... I must be doing SOMETHING right. My other two are but babies... we'll have to see. ;)

There are definitely SOME of us who can beat the odds, and put our children first... Unfortunate reality is that the stigma of teen parenting is not far removed from the actual reality. Sadly, I have friends who SHOULD have aborted, adopted, or allowed a family member to raise their little ones.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• YES BOTH MY SISTERS WERE TEEN MOMS AND ARE GREAT MOMS. THEY ARE IN THEIR LATE 20 NOW
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Just as any adult it depends on the individual of the teenager as to whether they'll be great parents. Some adults can't even handle their own lives, let alone raise another, so you see it isn't about the age of a person. I have known teen mothers who were great parents and truely surpassed some adults in raising kids. I think that if a teenager has the heart, determination, and the WANT to raise a child they can. It takes a lot more hard work to raise a child when you're a child yourself, but there isn't anything saying that a teenager can't do it.

Like you said, nobody condones it, but it is possible for a teenager to be a great parent.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Obby Dobbie- I think you are quite conceded. Thinking that we shouldn't be saying we are "great" mothers!! But you seem to think you had something to do with your child being really smart? I'm pretty sure that your child is "gifted" as are those who are autistic, or have downs, or have other problems! Every child is gifted in some way, and we all had something to do with it. So if someone says that they are "great" parents I give them props! I don't think any less of a person for it.
    Anonymous