How does Reglan help with milk supply?

My lactation consultant said that I could take Reglan for help with the lack of my milk supply. My baby has been sick and I am now sick and just taking an approved Tylenol meciation and all of a sudden decreased milk supply. When I went to the pharmacy to pick up the medicine, the pharmist had never heard of the drug for milk issues so he could not direct me. Has anyone else used Reglan for their milk supply and how well does it work?

amber_hughes

Asked by amber_hughes at 6:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, first, why do you think you have decreased supply?

And yes, you can use Reglan (short term) and it ups milk supply, and reportedly does it VERY well. But it can also have some serious side effects.

The best thing you can do for supply is to have baby nurse on demand. If you have to pump for work and you're worried because pump output has decreased, I would get some fenugreek and mother's milk tea. With the possibility of serious side effects I think that Reglan is best saved for serious supply issues.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 6:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• not sure, i have never used it but i have heard of it!! My pharmasist will never advise me if it's not an approved form of med.. I dont think that a lac cons. would give you something you shoulnd take.
    youlookin4me

Answer by youlookin4me at 6:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Increased lactation is an off-label use of Reglan, so many pharmacists DON'T know about it. I don' know why it works...but there are moms who report great success.

Still depression is a side effect you need to be aware of.

Are you changing 6-8 dipes daily? If so, your supply is good.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• increasing supply is a side effect of the drug. it works. i took it for a few days, and i really wish that i had not. try looking up la leche league, they are an awesome organization. your baby will not starve while you work to build your supply back up. your baby may be hungry for a few days, but that is better than drugs, imo. there are tons of ways to increase your supply again, if that is what you want to do. put the baby to breast whenever they are awake, drink plenty of water, drink mothers milk tea (fenugreek is the "active herb" in the tea), pump in between feedings (this can be exhausting, but worth the trouble, and it will be temporary)
    good luck to you and your breastfeeding, and congrats on your baby, and sorry your sick!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Increased milk supply is a side effect of Reglan because it increases prolactin, the milk- making hormone in the brain. Prolactin, along with frequent and regular breast pumping, increases breastmilk production.

As a last resort, my Dr. had me try Reglan. It did not increase my milk supply, but I understand that it is effective for most women. I was given a schedule for how much to take each day, what time to take it and what times to feed the baby to make the Reglan most effective, but still it wasn't for me. I had the side effects of anxiety and depression, but then again, maybe it was just postpartum depression. Luckily, in the end I was able to both breastfeed and formula feed.
    Anonymous

• I tried it for boosting supply- Dr told me to take it 2 or 3 times a day (can't remember which). By my 3rd dose, I got so incredibly weak I was worried I couldn't lift my baby who weighed about 12 lbs at the time, maybe less. I was just about to call my husband to come home from work but he showed up then anyway. I didn't realize it was from the medication, so the next morning when I woke up I took my next dose. I felt really tired and drained, and after taking that dose it just got way worse, to the point of I KNEW there was no way I could care for my son by myself, I could barely get out of bed. I realized it had to be the Reglan, stopped taking it right away and within a few hours I felt much better and was back to my regular self by that night.

I ended up trying Fenugreek and it worked much better with no side effects, other than a maple syrup smell. :-)
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 7:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• It may or may not work and the drug can have serious side effects.

Almost all medications can be taken by breastfeeding mothers. Tylenol is not contraindicated.

Most mothers that think they don't have enough milk really have enough. The women in Haiti are breastfeeding their babies and aid organizations don't give out formula, they encourage breastfeeding!

The way to increase supply is to nurse more. If the baby doesn't have enough milk for a few days while your supply is increasing it doesn't matter. The time to worry is if your baby isn't gaining a pound a month, starts dropping on the growth chart curve, or drops below the 3rd percentile. If your baby is growing, you have enough milk.

Sick babies may want to nurse all the time. It doesn't mean you don't have enough milk.

www.kellymom.com is a good breastfeeding website.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• This is what helped me when I had supply problems:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I took reglan and had no problems with it, but it can worsen depression in people already having issues with it. It will generally double your supply, but then it will be your job to keep it up. Good luck! :)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My best friend is taking reglan right now to help with her milk supply> she had to go to the hospital with heart problems after her son was born and then her milk supply decreased, her dr put her on reglan and it is helping her alot. You can try fenugreek, i did with my son but it made the milk smell and im sure taste funny cuz he didnt want to nurse or drink it from a bottle while i used it. Reglan will not make your milk taste different to baby and if your dr said it was safe and told you that you could use it then there should be no problem. You dr is not going to put you on something that is bad for you or your baby.
    jinglebells8677

Answer by jinglebells8677 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2010