Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fight for child support?

ive been fighting in ny state for years to get my ex to pay child support. currently he owes 23,000. it doesnt seem to be a priority to anyone. hes always slipping through the cracks or making arrangements that he never keeps. should i keep fighting or say screw it?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (11)

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

  • I would do what you can, Is he a good father? or a deadbeat? If he tries the best he can then i would not try to put him in jail, if he is just POS then i think its a drifferent story.

    Answer by youlookin4me at 6:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

  • Keep fighting don't give up this is for your kids all he is doing is putting himself deeper in debt that is his problem we pay child support and got alittle behind so we'll still be paying alittle over after the first child turns 18. I wish we wouldn't have gotten behind we could be paying for one kid once one turns 18. GL

    Hang in there eventually you will get paid just be the civil one and all will go your way.


    Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

  • Keep fighting. Because in the end you're getting 23,000 and most likely more if he keeps avoiding payment.
    It'll eventually come down to it that he'll be cornered and be forced to pay.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

  • Keep fighting. My ex didnt pay child support for around 10 yrs. Finally after writing letters once a month and having everyone I knew from my mom to online friends write letters of concern I got a new case worker. He brought my ex up on flagrant non support which btw is a felony. Ex had to go before the judge and explain how he was working as a paramedic yet had no money for child support, and had recently went to disneyland (which he confessed to the cs worker). He was given a one yr suspended sentence, the judge upped his support obligation, then doubled that to pay off the arrears He told my ex if he ever saw him again he would just send him to prison.

    Answer by gemgem at 6:43 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

  • Keep fighting, Keep calling the CS agency, courts, etc. Don't let him get away with not paying, especially if he is able to work and pay support. Interest is also accruing on this $23,000 and his current support keeps going into arrears too. THe money will just keep adding up. Leins can be placed on property, vehicles, etc. DL and hunting or fishing licenses can be suspended, he can be jailed for nonpayment of support. Get an attorney to help you fight.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

  • Where do you live?

    Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 7:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

  • hes a total deadbeat. he can only see the kids in therapeutic supervised visitation.

    i live in western new york

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

  • Get ahold of "Child Support Recovery" the money will come right out of his pay check before he even gets it. They will need his SSN and his boss is held liable if the money is not taken out. They will take out back child support and current at the same time. I know this for a fact as I am a boss and have delt with quite a few states. Good Luck

    Answer by 40yrmom at 10:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

  • Keep fighting. Whether he is a deadbeat or not, and the truth is that a good father pays support. Period. Just because you are no longer a couple does not mean he gets to get out of supporting his child.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.