support our troops? i dunno

so the navy decided we were going to help the people in haiti.. thats all great of course they need help in this time, well my brother in law is one of the soldiers being shipped out, my brother has been in the navy 6 years now and he has serve his time, have has been all over the world. Ok my problem, my sister and him have only been married for 3 years, my brother missed his 1st child's birth because he was in china and now is going to miss his 2nd child's 1st birthday and possibly his 1st childs 3rd birthday. They gave my brother an 18 hour notice before they were informed he would be gone for 6 months, his family is devistated (sp), i saw the pictures of him saying goodbye to my nephew who is only two and it brings tears to my eyes, my sister has been crying and told me "its like i became a single mother of two in under 24 hours).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Sandra, as I stated in my post, knowing what you get yourself into doesn't make it any easier. It's going to be hard on him and his family regardless of how much he knew beforehand. It's never easy to leave your family, but people choose to make that difficult sacrifice to keep people like you safe. You're welcome.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• OP here: Now i realize this is part of the job, but out of the whole navy they pick a father of 2 to go? So before this happened my fiancee wanted to join the navy, i stand behind him no matter what he does but after seeing what my sister is going through what my neice and nephew are going through, it makes me think twice. People keep saying well at least he is not going to the war, but isnt it just as bad? people are causing maheim over there. So is it wrong of me to not want my fiancee to go? I just dont know what i would do if i were in my sisters position.
    Anonymous

• IDK what I would do
    I have the utomost respect for the families of soldiers. I know that I couldn't do it.
    Sorry for your sis.
    The story made me cry, I can't imagine how she feels.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• It is unfair. But the military does not promise fairness. If it did, my hubby would be 2 ranks higher then he is. No, it's not wrong of you to not want your fiance to go. I didn't want my husband to go. And he could have gotten out of deploying to Afghanistan. But we both knew he wouldn't be able to live with himself if he punked out.
    It's like picking a married soldier with kids to have duty on Christmas, instead of the single soldier that is not going home for Christmas. Makes no sense to me.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 6:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• It's difficult, no doubt about that. A friend of ours thought he would only be leaving his son for a 5 month cruise. Disaster struck, and now it's an 8 month cruise because they're helping in Haiti. Things happen and it's not always fair or predictable. My hubby and I are both in the Navy. We found out a few weeks ago that they're sending him to Afghanistan in March. He's on SHORE DUTY and they're still sending him. A married father of two when there are PLENTY of single sailors that volunteered to go. It sucks and I understand why you wouldn't want your fiance to go. It breaks my heart when my husband looks at our 8 month old and says,"Man she's not even gonna know me when I get back." It's a feeling that tears away at you. It doesn't matter where they go, it is still hard to be without them. My husband will be gone for a year. While we both know what we signed up for, it still hurts just the same. (cont'd)
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 6:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• (cont'd) I'll keep your BIL and family in my prayers and thoughts. As for your fiance, it's not a light decision to make. There's a lot of sacrifice on both parts, but love is strong enough to pull you through anything.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 6:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Mommy, I never realized the difficulties we face as military spouses. I guess because I am an Army Brat myself. This is just the way of life. I ALWAYS know I'd marry a soldier. I am very blessed to have the one I've got. And not all duty stations have been good, one in particular royally sucked ass. >Ft. Hood< Other them various schools, he has only been gone a year at a time twice. Its a way of life, and not everyone is cut out to be a military wife.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Your brother chose that lifestyle knowing what he was getting into. Plain. and. simple.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• OP Here: when my brother chose that lifestyle he didnt have a wife and kids
    Anonymous

• I support our troops 100%. I do not always support where our government sends them. Sorry your family is having to deal with this, I'll keep them in my prayers.
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 9:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2010