How can I tell my 16 month old no and to listen to me?

Ever since my daughter could grab anything I've told her no and for the longest time she has listened to me and never questioned me. Now that she has turned 16 months she is always testing me and I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm constantly telling her no and I don't want her telling me no one of these days. Plus when she doesn't listen to me I don't know what to do like smack her hand or put her in time out.

baby_bump_2008

Asked by baby_bump_2008 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh, she WILL tell you no regardless of what you do. She'll also tell you she hates you some time. It's part of the testing.

Redirect redirect redirect. Use the word NO when necessary.

Smacking the hand will make you feel momentarily better but may not do anything. Time out? The same. Make your punishments fit the crime.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I find times out very effective. She is at the age where she is really going to see if you keep up with what you say. when you do time outs. the best is there age as the min. So she is one. Tell her why she is sitting there and has to sit there till the timer is done. sometimes you will have to put them back but be firm and start the time over every time. so she understands that she has to sit there for the full min.
    Anonymous

• Well my husband says if she touches something that she shouldn't with her hand smack her hand and same with foot but is that best?
    baby_bump_2008

Answer by baby_bump_2008 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• When you hit a child, you are sending the message that hitting solves problems. This may or may not be something you wish to convey to your child.

We had good success with timeout. We had the sad chair (a cheap plastic thing from a garage sale) in the living room.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2010