I get so frustrated trying to help my son with homework!

My son is 8 and in second grade. He has an IEP. He is very artistic and smart in many ways but not with homework. He struggles over the same math every night. I am not a teacher and trying to explain things to him frustrates me to the point of severe anger sometimes. I have written little notes on his homework asking that he get extra help in math but he comes home saying nothing was done. Tonight I gave up on trying to help him and simply attached a post-it note stating that I "officially" request that his resource teacher help him. I guess my question is just more of needing to get this off my chest and get some support.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 6:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I feel your pain. I went through that with my son too (he is 9 and in 3rd grade now). Homework in the evenings was like hell and it turned into a screaming match and I am suprised I have any hair left on my head from those days, LOL. He also had an IEP. His problem area was in the reading/writing/spelling/reading comprehension department.
    What finally worked for us was this. He comes home from school,gets a snack,gets started on his homework before anything else. He does as much of it as he can on his own. He brings it to me if he has any questions.He has a quiet work space in his bedroom with a desk. When he is done, he brings it to me. If there is a problem that I can not answer or he is not understanding how I am explaining it, I write the teacher a note and he has to complete it during his recess time at school. And he likes his recess time.. ;)

When I would sit with him to help with h.w. it just turned into a battle.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Since he has an IEP, you should be getting regular meetings with the teacher...are you? I would go in and talk to him or her directly if possible.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:51 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My Kindergartener has speech/language delay. She struggles with reading. We get so frustrated when she bring words home she has to read to us. It is so hard to help them when you just don't understand how to do this. I have a meeting with her teacher next week and her speech Ed teacher on how we can help and not get so frustrated.(all of us) Her Dad and I have to trade turns but it is so hard to see her struggle and not know how to fix it to make it easier.

I hope you can find the help and not have to struggle any more.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Call a meeting with the teacher, resource teacher, principal and any others involved with his IEP. Instead of writing little notes, GO IN and talk to the teacher in person at the beginning of school. The note may not be getting to the teacher or your son isn't telling the whole story. Email the teacher and keep on her butt.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I agree, go and talk to the teacher and make sure things are getting done. That is what they are there for and you may just need to light a fire under someone, KWIM? And also, they may be helping him somewhat and it's still just not sinking in. He may need more help than they realize and you being there in front of them, telling them may just wake them up to this. Good luck.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 7:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• well, I wouldn't allow him tv, or toys, or games until homework is done you may have to sit with him as he does it.. also maybe a reward if he can remember to do it on his own 15 times in a row...
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 8:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• by the way I have a small learning disability.. & I think people who have a disability want to feel normal.. he may just be seeing what he can get away with.. set goals rewards if he meets them & discipline if he doesn't meet them..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 8:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Yes, kimberly! This is exactly what I'm talking about, thank you. Noah also has issues with spelling and grammar etc. We do as you do. Snack, homework at the table, then I help with what he needs help with. But he'll sit there and stare at it or simply do it wrong and I have to come over and try to explain (the same crap over & over), all the while feeing like bashing my head in. Just hearing that you understand helps =) Thank you.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2010