Would you fill out this census?

DENVER – The Republican Party is seeking input and money from GOP voters — seemingly under the guise of the U.S. Census Bureau.

"Strengthening our Party for the 2010 elections is going to take a massive grassroots effort all across America. That is why I have authorized a Census to be conducted of every Congressional District in the country," GOP Chairman Michael Steele says in a letter mailed nationwide.

The letter was sent in plain white envelopes marked "Do Not Destroy, Official Document." Labeled "2010 Congressional District Census," the letter uses a capital "C," the same as the Census Bureau. It also includes a "Census Tracking Code."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100125/ap_on_el_ge/us_gop_census

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If I felt like skewing their results...yes.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Not much different from the plain brown envelopes that look like the ones used by the government and are mailed during the tax refund season to entice people to open the solicitations.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• jesse123456 your comparing them to shady solicitators?
    Anonymous

• No, just saying it happens. People use "government looking" mail to entice people to open the letter. I never called them anyone "shady". Just pointing out that this happens every year in some form.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• ***them or anyone***
    jesse123456

• The democrats are in trouble in my state for sending out a questionnaire that looked like a ballot. The mailing envelope was identical. The questions were about the items on the ballot we are currently voting on. Our elections are by mail so this was very confusing to some voters...especially the elderly. They didn't get into nearly enough trouble for this little mess.

I would have to actually see the envelopes for the question at hand to make a judgement, but the US census doesn't own the word census. Collection agencies often use envelopes that look like they have a check inside.

Open it and it you don't want it, toss it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I would need to see the actual Census and the GOP envelop to decide if it is foul play or an over exagerated article written with bias.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Id likely send them a letter instead ..basically telling them real conservatism or no more donations like I have been telling them.

Grly I would wager to bet its exagerated
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I AM interested in giving the GOP my opinion, so I probably will fill out whatever parts I feel comfortable with - however, I don't think I would confuse the two.

If it only had the basic census stuff, then Steel could just read the results of the U.S. census and save tons of money; it's likely going to have a ton of obvious political opinion stuff too.
    Anonymous