How do you manage parting from your child?

My son is 2 & a half yrs old, I have never really let anyone watch him, other then when he's already been down to sleep at night, me & my hubby would leave for a date and I would leave my son with my mom-but he of course never knew because he was sleeping! I have such a hard time leaving him with anyone because of the awful stories you hear...because of scary things that could happen...you know... I'm just worried to leave him in any other care but mine. He's getting closer & closer to pre-school...and when I think about it im terrified to leave him :( I know he'll have a hard time too since he's never been left. I dont want to put him thru it tho we will have 2 eventually. Does anyone have any advice to give me on how to cope with it and go about leaving him in anothers care? I just dont like the thought of it but I know someday soon, its gonna happen and I need some advice on how to handle it all and manage to go through it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I always say THEY do better than we do.

You might try introducing him to the pres-school before enrolling him....go in for a couple of visits. Let him see what's there. He may well be so thrilled that he can't wait to get rid of you when it's time to go full time. Mine was that way! **smile**

And you can run yourself ragged thinking about bad things happening...but they can happen in your care as easily as out of it. You cannot let that fear rule your life.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Research local preschools in your area. Take a tour, interview the teachers, etc until you find one that you are comfortable with. There are some great preschool teachers out there and there are some not so great preschool teachers out there.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I honestly don't handle it very well but I am getting better. My son is 11 months and there are two people I leave him with. My grandmother and my husband's aunt. I am a stay at home mom so very rarly does anyone watch him but when they do I tend to call alot. But here lately I have relaxed a bit and I don't call near as much
    ethansmommy0202

Answer by ethansmommy0202 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Just remember that your child is strong and will do just fine. We always worry more than necessary about many things.
    Yes, there are horror stories but if you know and trust the person then take a deep breath and let that worry go.

One thing Ive learned too is that I need a strong marriage and that means going out as a couple occasionally. I just think to myself that Im doing better by my child keeping my marriage strong.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2010