Can my two year old have ADHD

I know its normal for a two year old to throw temper tantrums, be hyper, not listen. Thats why they call it the terrible twos.
But our daughter has be completely out of control lately. Here is what she does:
She will NOT listen. We tell her "no", "Stop it", etc and put her in time out. But she will do the same thing she just did right after.
She will NOT sit still whatsoever. The only time she does is when she is watching Dora or Diego.
She runs around like crazy, jumps on things, moves things. Everytime I clean something she messes it up.
She will sit next to me while I am on my laptop and continuously kick my screen down. She will throw things, knock things down, etc.
She gets very bright though. She can count to 20, She can count to 5 in spanish, sing her abc's and other songs. She knows her colors and shapes. She can say actual sentences and have a small conversation with you.
Can a 2 yr old have ADHD?

BelloItaliano

Asked by BelloItaliano at 7:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I ran out of room, so Im going to finish here.
    We thought she might not be getting enough attention. She we started spending ALOT more time with her, but she still does the same things. If Im on the phone she will scream and scream because she wants to talk to the person. She cant make up her mind half the time. She says she wants one thing, then a second later she will say she wants another. I will get her what she wants then she's yelling at me that she wants something different.
    She is VERY impatient. Whatever she wants she has to have it right then and there. If we say "hold on for one second honey" She starts screaming.

We will not spank her, but we do put her in time out, and take toys away from her.
    BelloItaliano

Answer by BelloItaliano at 7:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• She sounds like every other 2 year old I know. Sorry mama. I'm going through the same thing with my son, but we spank and it is working well. good luck to you.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 7:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I'm not a professional but I have ADHD and know a fair amount about it. Honestly this sounds like the terrible 2's rather than a mental health condition. Toddlers are very self-centered and have poor impulse control, this is why you can't get a reliable ADHD diagnosis before age 3, and many psychiatrists won't diagnose a kid till at least kindergarten. My only child just turned 2 so I don't have the parenting experience to advise you. But there are some great books & websites out there that may help you while you're waiting for her to outgrow these behaviors. Also I applaud you for not spanking. There's a good non-spanking/gentle discipline group on CM, those moms may be able to help you. Best of luck!
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 7:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• She sounds like a normal two year old.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:52 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• You think it;s maybe because she knows another baby is coming soon?
    angela5954

Answer by angela5954 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• She sounds like a normal 2 yr old who is doing a great job of testing her boundaries. You need to find a way of discipline that works for you and be completely and totally consistent. If you put her in time out for kicking the screen down on your computer, do it every time she does it. Eventually she will get that you are the parent, but it will take a lot.

She sounds like a very bright girl. Maybe some sort of mom's day out or flash cards (or something else educational) will help her.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• "She says she wants one thing, then a second later she will say she wants another. I will get her what she wants then she's yelling at me that she wants something different."
    Don't do this! When she makes a choice that's it, and stick with it. I know it's tough but she will stop screaming when she learns you are not going to give in. When DS was little I just wanted to make him happy and made the mistake of giving in to make him stop the fit, it was the worst thing I could have done for both of us once I started standing my ground things got better.
    Also sounds like normal 2's behavior- as others said she's testing you and her limits.
    Anonymous

• Well my 2-year-old was showing signs of OCD (and it's in our families genetics so we see an easy likelihood of it)...but in talking with any professional they all said we can't know if it's a toddler phase or something else until she's older...we just have to wait and see.

I'd be willing to bet you'd get a similar response in asking any professional about ADD in a 2-year-old.
    Anonymous