Birthday parties and gifts: How much do you spend?

My kindergartner just attended a birthday party yesterday and he comes home with another invitation today. I swear I'll be broke til the end of the school year, but he really enjoys them and I think it's important he attends them.
My question, how much do you spend on gifts for parties? Does it make a difference if it's a good friend or an acquaintance?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 7:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Depends on the kid. We live in an affluent neighborhood so if it is a child in our community I spend 50-100 bucks. If it is one of my relatives usually less my sisters get made if I buy their kids something too nice. So I don't want to step on toes and buy something that will upset them.
    Anonymous

• $10- $15, honeslty I spend as little as I can with out the gift looking like I spent little......
    I am a single mom struggling to make ends meet, so I but cute things, but I get them on sale, and dont buy a lot
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

•  I spend $15 to $20 on kids friends birthday parties.  For a very close friend and realitive I spend about $30.00 to $50.00

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 7:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• 20-30
    Anonymous

• Honestly, spend what you are comfortable with. I usually give my child the money, let them go thru the store and pick. They have spent as little as one dollar and as much as twenty. I am trying to teach them how to do for themselves. I even let them wrap it. But stay within your budget and loose NO sleep over this. Would you care how much someone spent on your child or just be glad they came?
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2010