How soon after germination should you fertilize indoor herbs?

I tell ya, this gardening stuff is giving me a run for my money, lmao. I'm growing cilantro, chives, and parsley. They germinated two days ago, and are growing steadily. When should I add fertilizer or plan food to them, and what kind should I get?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 7:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I use Osmocote in my containers when I don't have proper compost. For an 8 qt planter I use 1 tsp of pellets. I mix it in before transferring the baby plant to the container. It is well dispersed through the soil and helps encourage root growth.

If you pots are small, like the size of your fist, don't fertilize. You'll burn them to death. Add fertilizer to the new dirt when you transfer them to bigger pots. Never fertilize from the top. When you transfer the plants, water them in-- water until it runs through then let them drain.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2010