How did you get your child to tell you when he needed to use the restroom?

I have my 3 yr old cousin living with me now and he hasn't had any potty training. I've got him going in the toilet now, but I still have to ask him to go.

How do I get him to tell me when it's time?
How old was your child when you could say you were done training?
What worked for you?
Heard any new theory's lately?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 7:43 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Once you make it a pattern and a habit he will be able to recognize the signs on his own. (for the most part). when that happens he will tell you he needs to go potty. or he'll just go on his own.
    My DS was about 27 months or so when he was fully toilet learned (all night and everything).
    Just remain consistent remind him to go potty about every 2 hours. ...try to be a bit specific especially because he's older. If you think he needs to pee tell him to pee (or whatever word you use for that function). If he hasn't pooped all day you might want to make sure he doesn't need to poop.
    All kids are different. My son picked it up really fast. And when we first started it i only meant it as an introductory. I had no intent on starting him until AFTER his 2nd birthday.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2010