Was your mother a good cook?

I never realized how "average" my mom was until I met my husband. Of course, my mom just cooks in the Southern way like she was raised. She never used a lot of spices, it was pretty much just salt and pepper. My husband is Hispanic, so his mom used a ton of different spices. I've really enjoyed experimenting with different flavors since I met him. Before I couldn't even make spaghetti, and now I can make just about anything xD

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• my mom was a good cook, but like you my Husband is a Great cook.. my family is from the Northwest and just plain white cooking lol.. my husband is Italian and oh boy is the cooking different.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My mom cooks good yes and my husband is also Hispanic. I never really tried to make Hispanic food. Well I tried rice and it never comes out right. Im Italian and I can cook Italian food. Any tips on cooking Hispanic food? lol
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• she had her specialties..all southern, deep fried and delicious! i was single until 35, so any home-made meal i could get, i took...so i'm not real reliable on whether things are good, great or gourmet. beggars can't be choosers!
    in fact, that's what sucks about being married, and a mom. no one invites me to 'come on over' anymore! lol
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• No I can't say that she was. We had the basic southern style foods but she was not the cooking type unless it was a family get together like christmas or thanksgiving LOL..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• No. My mom was a waitress and brought food home and when she didn't work we still ate out. She couldn't boil water without burning the pan. I didn't learn to cook until I was 50. I reared my children on fast food (not proud of that). When I was married my husbands (yes more than one) cooked.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• no, not really her meats are dry.. & she can't add spices.. so no flavor, but shh don't tell her I said that lol
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 8:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• No, my mom was never a really good cook and I didn't realize it honestly until I got married and had a family of my own. Then I realized that I really had no clue how to cook b/c she had never taught me anything. Her food is dry also, no spices, no originality. I have tried very hard to teach myself over the years and although I'm no Rachel Ray, I am very proud when I cook a nice meal and my family tells me how great it is!
    Anonymous

• She was a fine cook. Nothing over the top but it was good and edible and I never had to complain or anything.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My mother was a great cook. She grew up in brooklyn around many different cuisines. I miss her cooking. Dh and I are both very good cooks, but it's nice when Mama cooks for ya! I wish she was here to cook for me now, because I feel terrible. Being sick is really difficult when you're a Mama.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My mom was a great cook. She's passed now so I haven't had anything she's cooked in about 5 years. :-(
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2010