which is better gas or electric?

Dh and I have been talking about maybe getting gas appliances and heat. So if something happened and there was a power outage we would have it. But would gas really be better?

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 8:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Depends on where you live and what's more economical. Our average electricity bills during the summer are like $350. Our average gas bills during the winter are like $120. Our heater, water heater, stove/oven, and dryer are gas. One other great thing about having gas is that when hurricane Ike hit us and power was out for so long, we were still able to cook our food since our gas stove/oven still worked. And we were able to take hot showers. It was nice.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 10:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• for cooking I prefer gas
    Anonymous

• It cost my dad like 800 dollas to fill the tank every other month.. I think it is very expensive. Call around, if you have friends that have gas ask how much and how often they have the tanks filled..

My electric bill is no more than 200 a month so I know I could not afford that plus 800 every other month for gas..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• It's much much better for cooking. If the appliances are all new, then the efficiency is going to be totally different from a neighbor with a 20 year old water heater.

Check the energy star ratings for a ball-park of annual operating cost. A water heater blanket actually does wonders. Gas vs electric drier depends more on the brand of drier than the fuel source.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Your heater would not work. Heaters are run by thermostats...thermostats are run by electricity.
    I prefer cooking with gas. But I LOVE my smooth top range.
    TinaN64

Answer by TinaN64 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• There's propane and there's natural gas. We have natural. For us, where we live, natural gas is less expensive than propane or electric. We have a lot of power outages here. It's normal here for the power to go out almost every time it rains and it rains a lot here. lol Anyways, gas has been great for power outages because we can still cook and have hot water. But our furnace still needs electricity to run the blowers. We also have a gas dryer and I love it (again it still needs electricity to run)! It's so much faster than the electric one was. Also our electric rates here are sky high, so gas is a better option for us money wise and for power outages. (BTW, we do have a generator, so we are still able to heat during long power outages).
    Anonymous

• Where we live, gas is less expensive. I also prefer cooking on a gas stovetop.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• We have natural gas, too, and it is cheaper than electric, but if you want it b/c of power outages, remember, the burners on a gas stove are typical electric start, so you'd at least need matches and the pilot on a gas furnace is also typically an electric start and it can be dangerous to have to keep lighting it by hand. That being said, I much prefer gas ovens to electric....electric just doesn't bake things as well and you have more control over heat w/a gas burner. JMHO
    Anonymous

• In our area, gas is more economical. My stove is electric though. Our water heater runs on propane, and even when our power's out we have hot water. Our furnace is propane, but also needs minimal electricity to run. My ILs have a corn burner - also needs minimal electricity to heat. There's really no "middle ground" with gas vs electric.
    Anonymous

• I definitely have used the gas stove when the power was out. You have to use a match or lighter because the ignition is electric...but it is sure nice being able to cook even when the power is out.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2010