Putting a stop to hand sucking

My 3 month old son is at a point now where he tries to mimic what he sees. We've been hanging out with a couple recently whose 5 month old constantly sucks on her hand after touching whatever is in her reach. She is constantly sick and now my son is sucking on his hand. I want it to stop before he becomes like her. I take him out places so he gets used to germs but I don't want any direct contact. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you could put something bitter tasting on his hands so he wont like the flavor and it will deter him from sucking them. you could offer a pacifier to stop him from it too.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• That's what they do. My son ALWAYS sucked on his hands -- that's how he soothed himself to sleep when he was younger. And whenever he's teething, he sucks on his hands still at 17 months. He's been sick once. We've just made it a habit to wash his hands all the time.

Sorry I can't help you with ideas to get him to stop. Maybe put gloves or socks on his hands for awhile, although, they'll probably just get thrown off.
    Anonymous

• OMG suggesting to put something bitter on an INFANT is absolutely obscene. Sucking on their hand is NORMAL behavior for an infant and will not continue into childhood. There is absolutely no reason to stop your child from sucking on his hand unless you are looking for future problems.  Allow your infant to be an infant and do what infants do, suck on their hands.

Anonymous

• Excuse me... Mimicking another baby at 3 Months? I hardly doubt it. Your baby is doing what every baby has done prior to him and here on out. It's totally normal.
    Anonymous

• yeah all babies do that, if you stop him he'll have trouble soothing himself and it will probably result in sleep problems.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 9:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• They ALL put everything in their mouths, suck on their hands, etc. It's just like teething or drooling, there's nothing you can do about it.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 9:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Putting hands in mouth is how they explore. It is important for them to do this. It will slow down a ton the older he gets. Let him do it. It is vital to development.
    Anonymous

• What do I do about all the germs though? I don't want him sick all the time.
    Anonymous

• Self-soothing is a good thing...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:43 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Just keep his toys clean. Babies will get germs, babies will get sick. My daughter was a big time mouth explorer and she has only had a head cold a couple of months ago. She is 11 months old today.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:52 PM on Jan. 25, 2010