stinky washcloth

After washing dishes or wiping stuff down i wash my washclothes and they still stink,they have like a musty smell to them,i dont get it.Anyone else have that problem or know how to fix it?

proudmom34

Asked by proudmom34 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Try adding bleach to the water?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:39 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• You can add some baking soda or vinegar to your laundry when you wash them. Either of these two really cuts out any type of odors, cigarettes, mildew, etc.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• If you put the cloth in the microwave for 2 minutes it will kill the bacteria and should take away the smell. But make sure it's wet!!! Otherwise, you could start a fire!
    Anonymous

• wash clothes or sponges should be nuked daily wet, at least 1 min.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• *cloths
    GrnEyedGrandma

• bleach water, or vinegar/baking soda in the wash. I also suggest (as others did above me) to nuke the wet cloth for at least 1 min-- kills bacteria.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 8:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• All of my washcloths and towels get stinky like that from time to time. So I add some Lysol all purpose cleaner in the washer on hot water setting and let it soak. Then run it through an extra wash just because I don't like the smell of the cleaner. But it does get the stink out without having to use bleach. I've also used baking soda, but I have to use a lot of it, like 3 cups per load to be effective. I don't know if everyone has to use that much, maybe I just have extra stinky cloths.
    Anonymous

• i know tooooo many people who dont bleach their towels. ALL towels should be washed with hot water, bleach, and detergent. and you don't need much bleach... maybe 1/4 c for a load. not much especially if you have colored towels (i do and i have yet to ruin them). otehrwise try adding vinegar. that should do it (about 1 c per load)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Vinegar in the laundry does wonders. I don't bleach mine because olf the colors, but the vinegar takes that musty smell right out. Also DRY your clothes very thoroughly.
    CoCoMom89

Answer by CoCoMom89 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• i think i used washing soda and vinegar...i had this problem a long time ago when my dryer quit working.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2010