help....I need sleep....my dd won't let me

my 22mo old DD has stopped sleeping...we just had a new baby, and now my toddler doesn't take her naps, and she doesn't want to sleep at night, she keeps getting out of her bed, and she ends up staying awake till 3 or 4 in the morning...I know the reason why is either she's going through toddler moodiness or it's because of the new baby, or both...my question is...what can I do to get her to actually go to sleep????????
please help...I'm losing enough sleep with the new baby, now my other one isn't sleeping...I need sleep

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You must be exhausted. Put a baby gate on the older child's door, child proofing her room, and tell her she doesn't have to stay in bed but she must stay in the room. An alternative is a playpen. Confining her will let you get some rest.

Answer by Bmat at 9:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Lock her in her room or playpen. She will get bored, give up and go to sleep.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 9:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• She sounds way overtired. She still needs a nap, but because of her age and the new baby it is the perfect way to push the boundaries and put you over the edge. I would try a gate at nap time or a timer and she must stay in her room (or in her bed) and for a set amount of time. Set up a sticker chart, at the end of the week 4 or 5+ stickers and she gets a small treat.

I have also heard that The Happiest Toddler on the Block is a good book. My kids were older by the time it came out, so I don't know from experience.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Im having the same problem. My 24month old doesnt want to go to sleep ether. She will stay up till 12a.m no joke. Then wen she falls a sleep my 3 week old wakes up. My husband started putting our 24mnth old in her room & he turn of the lights & slept with her.

Since she goes to sleep so late. she wakes up at 9a.m she naps at 3-5p.m.

Good Luck. Have ur hubby or some one u trust to help u put her to sleep. Give her some camamile tea & a bath before bed time that might help too.
    Anonymous

• I used this trick with my kids (ages now 20 & 24) and also on my stepsons (4 & 5). It's called the nap game, it helps if you can baricade their door from the inside, but if not, it's not a big deal. I'd take them into their room, or on my bed and tell them that we were only pretending to sleep. That the one that could lay still the longest would win, the stepboys are very competitive and would just lay there playing opossum as we used to say. The best thing was I was also laying down playing too, sometimes they'd lay there and I'd doze off, not really sleeping cuz I'd pop awake as soon as they'd sit up. But sometimes they'd actually sleep. It was basically a win/win thing.

Good luck
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• man that sucks...I remember when I had my second my first was just 16mos and I was so EXHAUSTED! I can relate. She probably is over tired. I would try to get her back on a schedule. As far as naps make her do quiet time. I know your tired but the best way is to keep putting her back in bed...Easier said than done! I feel for you..been there! I hope you get rest soon!
    Anonymous

• my daughter hates naps now that she's in a toddler bed and can get up and play whenever she wants. We have a gate at her door and the room is completely childproofed. That way she can stay in there and do what she wants until she is tired enough to go to sleep. We have always been late risers, so the later naps and such are pretty normal around here.. but I make sure to wake her up if she is sleeping at 5:30pm. If she's still tired then she'll go back to bed earlier, and if she's not then she will still go to bed before midnight (usually)
    Good luck!
    Maybe have her 'help you put the baby to bed' before she goes to bed at night? Just a thought. If she thinks you are all going to bed also, she might be more inclined to actually go to sleep.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2010