bottle to sippy cup

my daughter is almost 10 months old and still cant drink from a sippy cup. i give her the sippy cup everyday but she just chews on the spout. Her doctor wants me to completly stop givng her the bottle when she transitions from mormula to milk. Any suggestions???

Emmasmom2009

Asked by Emmasmom2009 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We cold turkey the bottle at a year. I only offered her the sippy. It took a day but she figured it out she wasn't getting the bottle back. Keep offering her the sippy through out the day now...maybe try switching to a different brand. My daughter took to playtex and gerber the best. There is a brand called Nuby that is suppose to have a spout like a bottle nipple..that might help. Good luck and don't give up!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 10:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• i've tried the avent, nuby, and the take and toss. I just bought he tommee tippee which seems to be easier to suck from than the avent.
    Emmasmom2009

Answer by Emmasmom2009 at 10:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• If the sippy cup is too big for her she might have trouble holding it, which is why she only chews on it. I got my son a 8-10 oz sippy cup thinking it would be fine since that's what his bottle was. Nothing thinking about the change in weight when the bottle is filled. He wouldn't drink but two sips out of it before starting to chew on it. I got a smaller sippy cup and he drinks it without any problem. He still chews on it when he's done drinking, but I don't let him play with his sippy, so he gets it taken away.

Just get a smaller sippy. If you're using those 4-5 oz sippies and she still does it then just encourage her to drink. Put it in her mouth and tell her "You drink out of your sippy" and just keep reiderating that it's to drink and not play with.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• my son wouldnt use a sippy cup unless it had handles at first. Now he could care less if it has handles or not. And the way I got my son off the bottle was to only off it during nap and bed time...through out the day was strictly sippy cup. I started working on him at 10 months but wasn't as strict til 11 months. 1 week before he turned one he was fully on the sippy cup. When I saw he was drinking atleast 1/2 a cup of milk at a meal I took the bottle away completely and he didn't even mind. The earlier you switch over, the easier it will be. Good luck :) Oh and my son would only take a hard top sippy cup...he hated the nuby soft top ones.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• When it is time to make the switch offer only water in the bottle. Hopefully she will lose interest on her own.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 12:23 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• maybe you just haven't gotten the right bottle... first start out with the leaky ones so she will notice where the stuff come out of and she'll get a taste for it... then you can move to the other non drip bottles.. btw there is a brand that I found at fred meyer.. it has handles and a gread nipple part... just big enough for my 11 month old to use by herself...
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:12 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It's your baby not the doctor's baby.

There is no reason to give your baby milk once you stop formula. Human children do not need to drink the milk of cow's or any other mammals. Cow's milk formula is just so infants whose mothers don't breastfeed will survive the first year. Cow's milk can cause constipation, anemia, obesity, lactose intollerance, or other problems. Only 2 servings of cow's milk a day are the max recommended and toddlers like so many foods with milk in them that it can be hard to limit eating food with cow's milk to 2 servings.

Toddlers should drink water. They can do so from a bottle or a regular cup with a straw. Straws are better for speech development. Sippy cups have been linked to speech problems. Of course bottles and pacifiers have too, that's one of the advantages of breastfeeding.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:50 AM on Jan. 26, 2010