Can anyone help a mom in TN keep her baby?

Looking for anyone in Clarksville, TN who can help a mother. She needs an advocate, someone to go with her to give her moral support. She's yet another
victim of 'safe haven" legislation.

The day she gave birth she was pressured by hospital staff and adoption agency to leave her baby in the hospital under "Safe Haven" legislation. She was discharged that same day.

Extreme coercion -- she never got the chance to recover from birth before making ANY decisions. She needs support and help in getting her baby back.

They told her she had 30 days to get her baby back, and they are now saying she'll face criminal charges if she tries and that CPS will take her other children. She wants her baby back. It's been 8 days now. She has NEVER abused her children nor does she do drugs. She's innocent!

Please PM me if you can help.

Cedartrees4

Asked by Cedartrees4 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Adoption

• Cedar, I wish I could. I'm in Texas. That sounds horrible and I'm so sorry for her. Can she get legal aid? I hope she gets her baby back.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:44 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Send her to the media because if anything in that story is true she would have a huge story.

They are "telling her she'll face criminal charges": that makes no sense. What could the charges be? IF she is not guilty of
    anything that is an empty threat so let them bring it on. Empty threats mean nothing when you are innocent.
    Who has the baby now? Where is the doctor that delivered the baby...if this is her OB/GYN that followed her through this much wanted pregnancy, how did he let this happen?
    Your heart may be in the right place but there is alot that you are not being told here. She never would have left the hosptial on the day that she gave birth if she wasnt surrendering the baby under safe haven

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Tell her to call this number 1-888-510-2229 or 1-877-796-4673 The first is the Helpline for the National Safe Haven Alliance, the second is for Children of Hope Foundation. Either one can help her with the safe return of her baby.
    lilsweetpea708

Answer by lilsweetpea708 at 10:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• How can anyone force someone to leave their baby???
    Anonymous

• I was told the full story. She hadn't told her husband (in the armed forces) about the baby being born because he is abusive and had demanded she have an abortion. She couldn't bring herself to have the abortion, as she loved and wanted this baby so much. When her baby was born, she was scared of him and no-one offered her protection from his abuse such as a women's shelter -- instead they convinced/pressured her to surrender her baby under "safe haven." The only reason she agreed was that she (1) was affected by birthing/pregnancy hormones which screw up one's thinking, and (2) they said she could get her baby back w/in 30 days. The very next day she tried to get her baby back and was warned that she'll face criminal charges and CPS will take her other children away.

Whoever doesn't believe that birthing women always can think straight hasn't given birth. We can be VERY vulnerable to suggestion and pressure.
    Cedartrees4

Answer by Cedartrees4 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• So she was hiding the pregnancy from her husband? so when her husband comes home from combat she plans to him not noticing the baby?
    I would buy at least a little bit of the story if it was adoption. I just dont get the safe haven element. That is for someone surrendering their child and an adoption agency isnt even involved, CPS is.
    The whole being scared of criminal charges makes no sense.

If this was true (big if) she should go to the media. If it had any validity, it would be front page news. People love adoption gone wrong stories.
    Anonymous

• The 'safe haven' element came into it because an adoption agency told her to surrender her baby under safe haven laws so that the husband did not have to sign off the adoption, because her husband said "NO" to adoption when he found out she was pregnant and demanded she have an abortion. The adoption agency staff worker was there at the hospital as she signed.
    Cedartrees4

Answer by Cedartrees4 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Cedar, she realizes that she's going to have to leave her husband, get on her own, and get an attorney, right? CPS wouldn't return a child into a domestic violence situation. She'll also have to prove that she can support the baby. Is there family that can help her? Like after she gets the baby back? Someone they can live with until she gets on her feet? Oh, I feel so bad for her.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:02 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Sounds like she made a bad choice and now is trying to get others in trouble so she doesn't look like the bad guy. I would not help her unless I could speak to her and all involved to make sure the child is not put in a dangerous situation. My husband is a family attorney and he agrees with me on this. Said she will have a hard time proving anyone made her do anything. I hope the baby and her other kids get the help they need and don't suffer because dad is abusive and mom is weak.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• If she has 30 days to change her mind then yes she should be able to exercise that right!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jan. 27, 2010