how do i know if i'm experiencing postpartum depression?

I feel like I am teetering between baby blues and ppd... how does one know when they are in the red zone?

http://borderlinebabyblues.wordpress.com

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• ask your OBgyn for a screening..... i know its mandatory in NJ (I failed 3 screenings in a row).... but you may have to ask for one in other states
    Anonymous

• i would say if you feel like your gonna harm yourself or the baby thats the red zone.. eather way you can go to your doctor ...i had ppd.. i had anxiety and just always felt bummed out...never ill feelings about my son..i just felt my life had changed so much and i was so on edge and just totally bummed out.. appitite goes away .. it sucks.. but i would say go see your doctor maybe there is something he can do for you..its hard.. good luck. i hope you feel better :)
    Anonymous

• Try this article here.  Page 1 lists symptoms of baby blues. Page 2 list them for PPD.

Anonymous

• With my first I think had mild PPD. I had a generalized feeling of being overwhelmed, scared, and would have intrusive thoughts about something bad happening to my baby for about six weeks

With my second I would get this overwhelming sad feeling about 5pm every night for about 3 weeks.

The main difference is duration. After a couple of weeks your hormones are supposed to even out and relieve the blues.

Breastfeeding can be helpful as it produces the "feelgood" hormone oxytocin. Also, feeling helped and supported is important. With my first my dh was a bit of a jerk; I was bf and needed him to get me water, food, etc. (with my second I did not need as much help) and he would say, "what will you do when I go back to work" and go play video games.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I had post partum depression.

I don't know what it's like for every woman, but I can tell you how I knew. For one, I talked to my doctor about feeling baby blues and weepy at my daughter's 2 week appointment. He told me if it was still around by the time my girl was 4 weeks old to come in and see him about it.

As I approached that 4th week, it got stronger. A big thing I noticed is that at first I could go for a walk outside to feel relief from the sadness, but as time went on, that relief went away, and I was all weepy even when out on a lovely day walking.

If you're concerned, better safe than sorry, I would go talk to your doctor about it. IF you have it, it's best to catch it early like I did because it is something that often gets progressively worse over time without treatment.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• also, sleep is VERY important--if you are not getting enough, it will effect your mood. With my second I co-slept/nursed laying down from the very beginning and got at least 3-4 consecutive hours a night and about 7 hours total.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_the-baby-blues_11704.bc

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/women/pregnancy/ppd/general/379.html#ArticleParsysMiddleColumn0002

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I think if you're even wondering, it's worth calling the OB about it. I had ppd with the second and wouldn't get out of bed and cried all the time and resented my kids.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:51 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Women who hurt themselves or their babies don't have post partum depression, they have post partum psychosis. I suffered ppd after the birth of my twins...I had horrible anxiety over being left alone with them in case they both needed me at the same time. I was paranoid about taking them out in public or to a relative to visit in case I forgot something they needed. Talk to your doc...it's more common than you think. Hang in there mama...Friend me if you need someone to talk to who's been there.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:46 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• ?? No one talked about hurting themselves or their child.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2010