How do I deter my 4 year old son from urinating during sleep?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Tough. I used to wake mine right before I went to bed or if I awoke to go anytime before like 4AM, I would wake him and make him go too. Anything after 4AM and you risk them waking up for the morning, which is dreadful. I did this for like six months! but it worked.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Put a goodnights training pants on him or a pullup or something. Not all kids can sleep the night without peeing themselves at that age.
    Anonymous

• I highly advise against pull ups or training pants. I believe they teach children to pee in their pants and it gives them an excuse to not get up. Maybe limit his drinks after 6pm, make him go to the bathroom every hour from the time he gets home until bed? Not really sure but good luck!
    Anonymous

• I am in the same boat. My four year old son doesn't want to wear pull-ups any more and we make sure he pees right before bedtime. We used to have a sippy-cup of water next to his bed but we stopped it. I usually stay up til midnight anyway so before I go to bed I check on him and make him go (while he's half asleep). We just have a nightlight on in the bathroom and it's enough to see what we're doing but not enough to really wake him. He stays dry til morning usually if he goes once in the night. And then some nights he wants to have a pull-up. So we're still in a transitional phase.
    Kajon

Answer by Kajon at 11:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• You can try to limit his fluid intake after 6pm. You can wake him up at 11 pm to go pee then right back to bed. Or you can accept the fact that most kids wet the bed until they are 10. Seriously. Put pullups on him, tell him it is ok to get up to pee (my kids didn't know that...they thought that once in bed, they couldn't get up...my bad.), and be patient. Keep extra bedding already for when/if he wets. It is completely normal.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:15 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• This is really a matter of physical development.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:53 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Wake him up a couple times a night and escort him to the potty! It's been working for my four year old. If we don't wake him up, he usually wakes up drenched and upset with himself.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 8:12 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I think you wait until he is ready. It will come with time. I really don't think waking a kid up in the middle of the night is good. I am a huge sleep advocate and I think quality sleep for the entire night is way more beneficial than nighttime potty training.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 10:12 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• how do you actually DETER someone from doing something while they are asleep? The question doesnt make a whole lot of sense. Youre asking...how can I stop my child from wetting the bed? Answer...YOU cant. Generally after a child is potty trained, it can take anywhere from 6 mos to a few years for a child to hold their bladder at night. Its a whole different ball game. If you know beyond a doubt that a child is not nighttime trained and cannot hold their bladder, put a pull up on them. When they begin waking up with dry pull ups ( and they will), then begin trying to go without. Also explain that if they need to go, they can get up and go. That might encourage it, but my almost 4 yr old doesnt wake up at night that I know of, but he can hold his bladder all night. My other son is 8 and he still wets. His pediatrician gave me some tips about it and he did encourage me to stop with the pull ups at that age. Its your call.
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• oh and I completely agree with mazonmom. Dont wake them. It interrupts your sleep and theirs. Not fun.
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2010