How do I make my son eat what I cook?

He doesn't even try it some1 help me please

kadmomma

Asked by kadmomma at 11:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• make it more fun. make things in silly shapes or fun colors...or let him help you make it?
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• How old is he? Maybe you are using spices or something he doesn't like the smell of like onions or garlic. Ask him what he does like and then fix that.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Don't give him any other choices, simple as that. Eventually he will get hungry enough and eat it. When my daughter went through that "I don't want this" phase when she was younger I simply put her plate on the counter and said, when you are hungry this will be waiting for you. She finally learned that I wasn't making her a special meal and she wasn't getting anything else. Now she is 10 and eats everything I cook and never complains! And don't worry...he won't starve, he won't get sick...but he will learn.
    Anonymous

• Age is important but for veggies, I ground them up after steaming them, added a little water and spoon fed them. Now they eat most veggies. Chicken I cut into tiny pieces w/ an actual food cutter I bought in Paris. Beef was hard because they'd just chew for ages on one piece. Hmmm. He'll eat when he's hungry, I agree.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I basically did what anon did. They either ate it or went without and I didn't offer them another choice. They also had to try everything I made every time I cooked it because they were constantly telling me they didn't like something each time I made it despite eating it all the last time and saying they loved it. Also tastes change so things they said they hated when they were 3 they love now.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• We were going through this with our dd. We finally got sick of it and told her she eats what we have or goes to bed hungry. We kept bluffing about going to bed but finally one night she pushed me to far. We has something that she had ate a hundred times before. And after fighting for a hour, I sent her to shower and then bed. She got better. Twice now she has went to bed without finishing her dinner.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 1:33 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Don't make him anything else. Eat or don't eat. When he is hungry enough, he'll eat. He will not starve himself. If he doesn't eat it when it is served, save it for the next meal or when he's hungry next.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:35 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Either he eats it or he goes hungry. No snacks, no treats, no separate meals. He'll eat when he gets hungry.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:48 AM on Jan. 26, 2010