new dog

im looking to adopt a new dog within the next month where i live it most be atleast a year old. i have a 16 month old. what do u think would be the best breed. no small dogs sorry they are not for me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Pets

• The best way to decide what kind of dog to get for your family is to sit down and write down all the things you are looking for in a dog. Temerpment, size, shed factor, protectiveness etc.

Then, find a book that lists dog breeds. The Royal Canin Dog Encyclopedia is a great research tool. It lists some of the more commonly known breeds and some less known ones as well. Look through the dog breed book you choose and mark the pages that contain the breeds that have the characteristics you listed.

From there, contact REPUTABLE breeders and talk to them. You don't have to go to a breeder, but they know the good, the bad and the ugly about their chosen breed.
    cont
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 8:57 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• A Golden Retriever is a great dog for kids.  They do require a walk daily or a yard to play in.  If you get one as a puppy or up to 2 years old just have a lot   of toys for them to chew on.  I take empty milk jugs and let them play and flatten them out.  They are loyal and most are great with kids.  Good luck and happy puppy hunting. 

Gemaof4

Answer by Gemaof4 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I have a German Import German Shepherd and I don't recommend them unless you need the protection!!! My dog would GLADLY eat someone to show her loyalty, but the shedding is sometimes more than I bargained for. I have to sweep/vacuum at least once a day everywhere in the house and sometimes that's not enough!! Brittany Spaniels, Labs, Golden Retrievers, Cocker Spaniels, and I believe Boxers are all good with kids....but DON'T get a Dalmation!!! I've heard TONS of horror stories...
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 11:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• A lab I have a lab and my 19 month old sits on her head rides her pokes her pulls her tail ears whatever she sleeps on her lays on her hugs her kisses her whatever and she is so great with her, and my In laws have a lab that is the same way labs are great family dogs
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 1:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Ask lots of questions and then ask to visit pups (if they have some and only if they are over 5 weeks old) ask to see the parents of the pups so you can get a rough idea of what the dog will look like as an adult.

DO NOT get a dog from a pet store. They come from puppy mills....that would take a whole other post to cover. Google puppy mills..not a pretty thing.

Do not get a dog from a breeder who doesn't believe in health checks, breeds more than twice a year, breeds several different dogs, doesn't have titles on the dogs or whose dogs live in kennels ,or in barns. More than likely they get very little human contact and you could potentially end up with a dog who can't be trained.

Getting a dog isn't an easy decision. Its a lifetime commitment that needs to be researched and thought out properly.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:01 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• truealaskanmom,

Stop letting your child abuse the heck out of your dog. Its dangerous to let a child poke a dog's eyes or pull its tail, it hurts when a kid sits on a dog. Just because YOUR dog allows itself to be abused (with little interaction I take it, from you to stop it), it doesn't mean that ALL dog's tolerate that kind of treatment. Your child is at risk to be bitten if you continue to allow her to treat a dog like a trampoline/horse/pincushion.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• englidh bulldogs are very good dogs but expensive.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:23 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• English Bulldogs are great for older kids. But for one that is learning to walk and run, not such a good idea. They have the name "bulldog" for more than one reason.. lol.
    These dogs will bulldoze their way through anything to get to what they want and they are HEAVY. They have a sweet temperment for the most part though. However, if you buy one from a breeder (which is about the only way you will get one) they are about 2000.00 to start.
    hazelnutx

Answer by hazelnutx at 8:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2010