Mom of 2 wants to take sleeping pills...

I was just wondering, if i can hear my baby cry during the night if i take a sleeping pill.

ive never taken them, but i dont get much sleep with a 2 month old & a 5yr old and im TIRED!

im really really concidering taking them, but im afraid of not hearing my kids if they wake up in the midle of the night

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Health

• I wouldn't. I know you need sleep but you also need to be able to take care of your children in case of emergency and if you've taken sleeping pills you can't function properly. Try melatonin maybe..it won't make you goofy.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• What about plain Tylenol. It will relax you instead of like an Ambien?
    Anonymous

• Depends on how heavy of a sleeper you are. I am a very light sleeper and hear anything even when i take sleeping pills. The best sleeping pills to take are umison. When you wake up your arent as graggy keyword is "as" because it still will make your little graggy. Also I take melatonin and i love it!! I take it right before bed and fall a sleep fast. You have to take it when you are ready to sleep, it doesnt make you tired it helps you fall a sleep.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 11:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My Dr. told me to take Benadryl to help me sleep, but my husband was there to take care of the kids if they woke up. Do you have anyone to help you at night? Or even someone who could watch your kids during the day while you have a nap? Good luck, hun.
    Anonymous

• My sister took sleeping pills after having her last baby. They KNOCKED her out to the point where she was having CRAZY dreams & sleep walking. However her husband was ALWAYS night shift so she didnt have to worry about hearing the kids.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• You might not hear them so no don't take them unless someone else is around to watch your kids for you.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I took sleeping pills once and slept through an entire day - I didn't hear the kids, dh, the phone....nothing would wake me up. scared the beejeebies out of poor ol dh. lol

do you have anyone there to help if the baby does wake up? only if there was would I recommend taking them.

they're designed to help you sleep - and deep enough in that sleep you don't hear anything.

but sleep deprivation is part of being a mom - eat a healthy diet, exercise, sleep when you can - go straight to bed after kids are down for the night (or until baby's up to feed) then go right back to bed.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:54 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I would not if you are like me...they knock me out cold and what if there is an emergency?! SO I won't even take Nyquil! LOL I am a light weight for meds. I have a 22mos old 5 and 6 yr old so yeah been there with the echausted part... A FEW TIMES!
    Anonymous

• There ar a ton of things that will make you sleep, I took Benadryl and it works like a charm, when my dr. told me about it i thought she was joking, but they really made me tired but i was able to wake if one of my kids woke up in the night. JUst tallk to you dr. tell her/him that you wanna be able to wake if needed im sure they will let you know whats best for you!
    youlookin4me

Answer by youlookin4me at 12:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I would not take it unless prescribed by a DR and someone else was there to take care of the kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jan. 26, 2010