Do you think I need an Ultrasound?

I'm 32 weeks and found out today that I'm 25% effaced and 1 1/2 cm. I was sure this baby probably wouldn't stay inside past 37 weeks, but now I'm positive. However, at night when I lay down, the baby moves into a traverse breech position. It hurts like heck and I really can't sleep. When I told this to my doc today, she said it didn't seem necessary. I'm concerned that I may have to get an emergency C-section. I'm prepared for anything that may happen, but if they can detect it sooner than later, I would be a little less anxious. I might go in earlier than expected and don't want to go through 10 hours of active labor before they decide to give me a C-section any how. What advice can you give me?

JenStar28

Asked by JenStar28 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i thought my baby was transverse too..... i was so sure of it... and she wasn't.... if your concerned request an ultrasound
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 11:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I know doctors and INS companies are STINGY when it comes to giving ultrasounds. If you really wanna know go for a 3d ultrasound @ a placce thats not related to the Dr office- you can usually find specials to get it for cheap- or worse comes to worse go in through the ER complaining of pain & pay your ER deductible. My sister wks for labor and delivery & has woman do it all the time! Its a little shady but it gets the job done!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• If your baby goes transverse when lying down, you can plan to labor upright. (*It is a very good position, actually!)
    I don't know why you need an U/S. If your belly is palpated your doctor should know baby's position.
    But position won't matter if you're not *in* labor.
    When you do go into labor you can see how things go. There is a good chance that early labor contractions will help to coax baby into a preferred position for delivery.
    Also, moms can be dilated and effaced for a long while before laboring, that might be irrelevant for your situation. Are you contracting?

My advice is to continue to get information on transverse positioning, try the exercises that encourage baby to vertex, and learn about laboring positions. You might like to find a birth doula to help, too.
    :-)
    Best wishes!!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• definitely labour upright if baby keeps on doing that when you lay down. our beds here had this great bar that you can be upright on and basically squat on the bed itself.

but 25% and 1 1/2 isn't that far along labourwise - I was 3cm for all three pregnancies from about 33-34week to delivery - they were born at 41, 39, and induced at 39 weeks.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• why do you think your baby wont stay in til 37 weeks? Being 1.5cm at 25% effaced at 32 weeks doesnt signal anything to me that you would necessarily go into labor preterm. As for the baby moving to transverse...its normal to not stay head down at only 32 weeks, you still have alot of time for your baby to engage. And if the baby isnt engaged in the birth canal then thats a good sign that you shouldnt dilate much more because you usually need the pressure of the baby's head to help dilate you
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:32 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• no i don't think you should have an ultrasound. i think you should be more confident. your baby will be in position for labor. think that way. i don't know why you are so convinced that your baby will come early either. i agree that your baby probably isn't going transverse, more likely sticking legs out funny. my midwife thought my baby was transverse around 37 weeks, had me do an ultrasound and it was his butt on one side and his legs on the other. i can see how you would think so if i midwife would think so. also you are just 32 weeks so even if your baby was complete or frank breech right now s/he would likely turn before birth. it would be extremely ridiculous for them to do an ultrasound weeks before birth, say oh baby is breech so you will probably have a c-section. good luck !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Thank you for the advice ladies. I do have more info pertaining to the situation. I have been contracting for the past 3 weeks. The first week was braxton hicks, the following weeks, real contractions. With my 1st son I was dilated 3 1/2 cm for three weeks and was contracting the entire time. He was born 1.5 weeks early. And I have started losing my mucus plug. I was informed that I will have to wear a Holter(heart) monitor Wen - Thurs. I have been having palpitations and dizziness without being active. I might not be able to give birth naturally anyway. Fingers crossed on that one.

I am thankful for the suggestions about birth in an upright position. I will have to make sure I ask about that option. Although, standing and even squatting causes my dizziness. However, I will consider it.

JenStar28

Answer by JenStar28 at 6:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2010