can my fiance adopt my daughter?

i was just wondering what do i have to do so that my fiance can adopt my daughter. the biological father knows about my daughter and told me he wants nothing to do with her when she was a month old,he's never seen my daughter, wasnt at the hospital, name isnt on the certicate, she has my last name, and he is aware of all this. so that being said what do i have to do so that my fiance can adopt her. do i have to have the biological fathers consent? and if i do what kind of proof do i have to have that he's givin up the rights? does he have to go to court? or can it be a written statement? pls any info will be deeply appreciated

momOF2Girls0710

Asked by momOF2Girls0710 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Adoption

• If would like some help, please message me.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I'm not sure what you would have to do. When my brother adopted his wife's kids, her ex husband had to sign some kind of papers first.
    Anonymous

• Yes, you need the biological father's consent. He must "sign away" his rights to the child and then your fiance can adopt her. It has to be done through the court system. My friend did this b/c her son's father was never around. She had to go to the courthouse and fill out paperwork, then he was served with papers and given 30 days to contest it. He never did and so it was approved and then her new husband adopted him. I live in Illinois so maybe it's different in different states but that is how it works here.
    Anonymous

• in further detail i was curious about all this because i am pregnant now and this baby will have my fiance's last name and i would love it if my daughter had his last name too. he's been there for my daughter ever since she was 2 months old...he played EVERY part of being daddy ever since the beginning. he's payed for everything for her and has taken good care of her. and i dont think i mentioned that the biological father never payed for ANYTHING and i never have or never will want him too. my fiance has done a wonderful job being daddy and thats all i need.
    momOF2Girls0710

Answer by momOF2Girls0710 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• omg anonymous...that lives in illinois..i live in illinois too....id appreciate it if you would want to email me :)
    momOF2Girls0710

Answer by momOF2Girls0710 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 25, 2010