Is it illegal for your boss to tell everyone that your getting fired before they even talk to you?

If anyone knows where to find information on Illegal firing or firing process could you send me a link. My mom lives in Oregon and had a horrible day at work today. Several other employees that she works with told her that their supervisor told everyone that she was firing her and that her job was open for anyone to apply. She did not come up to my mom and say one word to her today. :( she is pretty much humiliated and upset. Im just trying to gather as much information as i can for her and trying to encourage her to talk to a lawyer. Imo no one deserves to be harassed like that. Most of the people who came up to her today were trying to get her to go to human resource to talk to them about the situation but my mom waited to get fired... but her supervisor never fired her. My guess is they are just trying to intimidate her into walking off. So please answer if you have any information better yet if your a lawyer...

_Renee_

Asked by _Renee_ at 11:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• It's immoral but not illegal unfortunately.
    Anonymous

• I will look to see if I can find a link. I live in Oregon and before leaving my job we had a similar thing come up, If a person is caught talking about wages, personal file information, etc with anyone out side of HR then there are consequences. Normally it is disciplinary action. It was made very clear to all staff in my department that we were under no circumstances allowed to talk about those type of things or we would be written up. I dont know if its illegal but I do know that in Oregon it is standard for all employers to have a policy against things like this.

I do know that the sharing of any information about a persons job status is illegal, no one has the right to that information except Hr, the employee and their direct supervisor.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• i dont know if it is illegal but it is absolutly unprofessional!
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 12:09 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Unprofessionalism is not illegal. Policy violations are generally not illegal.

I think a lot of people confuse "illegal" with "wrong"-- something is only "illegal" if it violates a statute. If the state has a statute that says "a person shall not discuss another's job", then to do so would be illegal.

"Illegal" is also not the same as "tortious" as you can really try and sue anyone for anything. The only question is whether you have merit to your case based on precedent setting caselaw.

Unfortunately, I do not know of any cases or laws that state "a stupid manager who can't do their job well cannot act like a boor."

Your mom is better off filing for unemployment if she was fired. She should also definately talk to the HR personnel and maybe the boss will get fired.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:10 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Illegal, no. Unprofessional, yes. She should complain to HR.

If she believes that she is a victim of discrimination, she can learn more here: www.eeoc.gov

Answer by rkoloms at 7:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• that is ridiculous sounds alot like walmart if ya ask me totally unprofessional
    Anonymous