balancing improving yourself and not focusing on flaws (christian)

Anyone have any good books, articles, advice on balancing trying to change the way God wants you to and not obsessing on personal flaws at the same time.

I hope that makes sense. I know that I should strive to be more like Christ and I am trying, but at the same time I sometimes get bogged down by how far I have to go and all of my flaws. I of course confess my sins and know that they have been forgiven, but I repeat mistakes and sometimes worry about achieving lasting change.

wv_mom

Asked by wv_mom at 12:07 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Change comes with constantly connecting with God. He helps us change. At the same time we can not focus on our flaws, no one is perfect! Trying your best, and repenting when mistakes are made is all you can do on your own. You can't change yourself, only God can do that. I'm sure you know all this, but it is good to get some encouragement.

About a book. I just got done reading a book as a part of a small group study. It is about connecting with God and not focusing on your failures. It is a quick read and is a simple book. It is titled: Refuel--An Uncomplicated Guide to Connecting with God, by Doug Fields (he is one of the pastors at Saddleback Church, where Rick Warren is lead pastor)

The book wasn't revolutionary, but reminded me I need to take more time to just tune everything out and tune into God!
    ChereseB

Answer by ChereseB at 4:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I'm not sure of any books at this time. Everyone has there struggles with everything nobody is perfect. Ask God to help you and maybe you could talk to someone in your church that you trust that will help you or talk to your preacher or priest they could help you. Good luck. And God bless you :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED CHURCH. THE CHURCH COMMUNITY WILL GIVE YOU STREATH. ALSO FORGIVE YOURSELF FOR MISTAKES AND JUST PRAY THAT GOD BE WITH YOU.
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 1:51 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• oh hun.. thats not what the Christian walk is about.... it is about a relationship with Jesus Christ ! I will post something to your message box from my pastor in his newsletter.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I forgot to mention the books haha , I so tired so forgive me... :-) There are so many books but I like the ones by Lisa Bevere like Nurture and Fight Like a Girl. Her Husband has good books too. Oh a good one is The Supernatural Ways of Royalty -Kris Vallotton  I highly reccomend this one to get to know who you are in Christ Jesus. :-)

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Shaneagle,
    I have a relationship with Christ and I am always working to improve it. That is how I know that he is asking me to change. I know that he will not ask more than I can give, but for some reason I still feel overwhelmed at times
    wv_mom

Answer by wv_mom at 11:37 AM on Jan. 26, 2010