Car sick dog

So we are getting ready for a 3 day road trip, with a 19 month old baby and a dog that gets car sick. Are you jealous yet? Anyway, does anyone know if there is something we can give the dog, so we aren't spending most of the trip cleaning up dog vomit?

Rebecca7708

Asked by Rebecca7708 at 12:16 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Pets

• The vet may be able to prescribe something for your dog.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 12:18 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Yes you can use human benadryl. Email me and let me know how much your dog weighs and I can tell you the dosage. Warning it will make your dog sleepy. Or you can go to your vet and they will give you a prescription and it will do the same. Or you can use dramamine which is something for humans for motion sickness. Email me I can help you.

Danielle
    http://www.momsforahealthyhome.com
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 12:47 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Giving any animal Benadryl especially cats and dogs is dangerous. It can cause so many side effects which some could be life threatening. Talk with your vet b4 giving your animal something that you dont know how it will react with him..You wouldnt just drug your kid so why do it to your dog with a Vets approval. If you wanted to leave your dog home, Vets dont usually charge a lot for boarding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• TAKE THE DOG TO A KENNEL AND PAY THE MONEY SO YOU CAN HAVE A GOOD VACATION. MOST HOTELS WILL NOT ACCEPT A DOG, YOU WILL HAVE YOUR HANDS FULL WITH THE BABY.
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 1:47 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I traveled from New Mexico to Washington with a dog that was carsick. The vet prescribed a tranquilizer to let her sleep. I fed her at the end of the drive after the tranq wore off, with a very light breakfast in the morning.

I found that my pup is like me (I get carsick)-- she needs to be able to look out a window (see the horizon) and get fresh air. Seeing the horizon helps the body to realize it's actually moving. But for long drives-- definately talk to the vet.

I agree with the previous poster about not giving your dog benadryl-- it's an antihistimine and works well if your dog actually has an allergic reaction to something like a bug bite, but to arbitrarily give it is concerning.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Benidryl is actually very safe to give but i have never used it for car sickness just allergies. I would talk to the vet because i believe there is something you can give. One thing if you can do is when you feed the dog do it as early as you can to give it time ti digest. If you feed and then get in the car he will more then likely vomit the food right up.

.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:12 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• We're moving, not going on a vacation, so kenneling isn't really an option.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• OMG we had the same problem when we moved.I highly reccomend you ask the vet.They have something they will prescribe to him.It will make him sleepy but it will be worth it.If you can't afford it then i suggest you let the dog out of the car at least once every hour and a half and walk with him.It will help calm his nerves some!Our dog used to work himself into a tizzy freakin out cause the car was moving.His nerves only worsened the problem.Try to give him some time after feeding so it will have time to digest.I hope all goes well!And GOOD LUCK!!!
    barndogsgrl

Answer by barndogsgrl at 12:04 AM on Jan. 27, 2010