Do you think "Secret Life of the American Teenager" is appropriate?!

I'm a young mom and i've watched this show that airs on ABC family for awhile now but this season seems totally inappropriate for young eyes. What do you think?! I can't believe this type of thing can be aired at 5pm!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I agree with you.... its what I consider a teen soap opera now and I saw the previews for this season and decided it has gone off the deep end.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:50 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I agree it is inappropriate, but unfortunately it is painfully realistic about how teenagers really act.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 1:51 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I watch it myself(online) but I won't let my kids watch it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I watch it,but I am a grown up. I don't see how it is on a "family channel".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• As parents, we get to censor our children's TV. This is a show that children should not watch; it glorifies teen pregnancy.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:48 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I don't mind the show because I don't think it's realistic AT ALL. I have never heard any teenagers talk the way those kids do, and be so sex obessed (I'm 23 btw). Dh makes fun of me for watching it because its so stupid lol. It's just like everything else, you need to talk to your kids about it if they watch it. I don't think it's worse than Degrassi...
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 6:52 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I really don't mean this in a mean way, but a lot of times, people get upset that this show, or others like it, are shown on ABC family. But the thing is, "family programming" doesn't just mean "little kids". It also applies to people with older kids, teens, etc. I haven't watched it past the first season, because we live overseas now and we get limited American programming. But I did watch it with my kids - both teens - the first season.

While some of it is over the top and exaggerated, it does deal with issues that face teens - sex - whether it results in a pg or not - relationship issues, parent issues, divorce within the family, coming to terms with their own thoughts on their faith, etc.

So, you're right - it's NOT appropriate for a 5 yr old, or even, say, a 10 yr old. But there's nothing wrong with a 15 yr old watching it with, pref. with their parents. Like I said, "family" doesn't just mean little kids...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:13 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I think it's giving off the wrong idea of sex, and sexual things. It aires here at 7pm, so quite late in the night. Me and my friend were just talking about this last night, its so fake, the "JUST SAY ME" it's like telling your child to go masturbate. I think they try and do a good point of talking about different topics "(pregnancy, death, cheating, faithful, marriage)" they just overdue a little.
    kyleighsmama07

Answer by kyleighsmama07 at 7:34 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It's produced by Brenda Hampton who produced 7th Heaven. Every epidosde (like 7th heaven) has something that its trying to teach..mainly all of the problems that come with sex in high school. that is pretty much what this show is about. Do yall see the PSA's at the end of the show? It's supposed to be watched by teens and their parents. Im in FL and its on a 8 pm.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2010