Would you ever babysit your neighbor's kid(s)?

My neighbor may be looking for a new job soon. I am going to school online, am home all day, and my daughter is in preschool. I want to help them out because they have 1 car and 2 kids under the age of 2 so they work opposite shifts so one can always be home with the kids. Now that that might be changing, I was thinking about offering to watch them if they need me to. How much would you charge and have you ever watched a next door neighbor's kids before? How did it turn out? These are people we hang out with on the weekends so I don't want to ruin our fun time or have anything be weird between us later on, we have only known each other for about 3 1/2 months.
Thanks :)

katie23

Asked by katie23 at 1:42 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ya no...don't do that... Too many risks of ruining the relationship and then you'd still have to live next door to them
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 2:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I have neighbors that I have traded child care with; having a business relationship with them would be weird.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:46 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• lived on a military base for 15 years and always watched neighbors children and never had a problem doing it. I also am super close to my youngest daughter's exhomedaycare provider. Stopped in to visit while on vacation. It is what it is.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:01 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I've done that. Let me tell you-I don't recommend it. The little girl was sweet to begin with, but she turned into a monster, and HIT my children! I am NOT having that. I don't play that. I don't let my kids hit(and they don't) and I'll be damned if I let another child get away with hitting my kids. HELL no. Not to mention, I didn't get paid as promised. I mean, I understand financial difficulties-but if both the mom and the dad work, what's $100 when most daycare centers charge more than that?
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 8:39 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Why don't you sit down & talk to her about what her needs are, find out (call the daycare & ask) how much they're paying for daycare, offer a lower rate. You need to decide ahead of time what your limitations are. Figure out how much time you need to get your stuff done, home work, house work, chores, etc. Make sure you feel like its fair & you're not being taken advantage of. Tell her if it becomes an issue or if stuff comes up then you need to be able to talk to her w/ out it ruining your friendship. All you can do is try it & see if it works!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:52 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I did, but as favors not as a job. She had 3 and needed us to when she had prenatal appts. They were great kids and played well with mine. Then again, we were good friends with our neighbors. They watched ours too when needed. No one paid anyone.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:52 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I am one of the only SAHM's in my community and have been approached by people to care for their kids. This is what I say: I'm happy to help you out now and then when you are stuck, but I do not want to do it full-time. Neighbours have taken me up on this, and we have people moving here who soon and I have offered to take care of her little ones while they unpack and settle in and she will take me up on it. I do this for free - as a favour for friends and neighbours and will not take anything for being kind and helpful. But if you do not want to be a full-time or even part-time child care provider, establish that from the start. But there is nothing wrong with helping people out - who knows, you might need help one day....
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 9:07 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• wow lucky you you have neighbours so nice you would want to do that, joking apart maybe if you had known them a few years i would say yes, but such a short while no
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Based on personal experience with this...... NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't do it.

goddessmonica

Answer by goddessmonica at 9:11 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I baby sit the neighbors kids we hang out with her and her DH she has 3 kids 9,6 and almost 1 I don't do it all the time, but sometimes I will watch her 6 year old DD only or sometimes her 6 year old DD and her almost 1 year old DS she usually don't ask me to watch the 9 year old boy since he has really bad ADHD I told her I would still do it, but she says that is ok. I don't charge her though cause I just ask her if I need a sitter if she will watch my kids since I watched hers. She says ok.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:21 AM on Jan. 26, 2010