do you believe a mother should be able to regain custody of her children if she is a reformed drug addict

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Only if she can prove that she is reformed and has been for a while. Then sure, but it is an iffy subject.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Yes, People make mistakes all the time.If she has stoped doing drugs. She should get her kids back.

Answer by louise2 at 5:37 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• if she can prove over time that she is clean & not bringing dangerous ppl around the kids then yes.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I believe everyone deserves another chance. I think she should be subject to frequent surprise visits to see how she's doing, and random drug tests. It may feel invasive-BUT if that is the cost of being the mother God intended her to be, she should be glad of it!
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 8:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• yes

Answer by admckenzie at 8:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I deffinitally do, as long as she has shown to be clean & sober and changed her ways. It does take some time, nothing should happen right away! She does need to realize what she has done and be engaged in some sort of recovery program, if she has done that and remains completely sober then of corse they're her children and god bless her that she's gotten her shit together for them. I think it's gods way and it's not easy to work out all the kinks, if you want to help the kids.Be a support in her life as well as their's,''FOR REAL ", they will all look to you as a big help in there lives if you choose to do whats right.Along with them.& remember it all comes back 7~ fold!
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 8:46 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Is this a divorce situation or are you looking to break an infant adoption? The welfare of the children comes first. If the kids don't know the mom from Jack, then I don't see a reason to disrupt their lives. Visitation could certainly be considered, but custody is a lot more serious matter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• No. She chose to be a dumb ass and lose her kids in the first place, what makes you think she wouldn't have a relapse and maybe the young one finding her "stash" and taking it thinking it was candy?
    I worked in an ER and we had a case like this. The child died. It still haunts me to this day as this child was my sons age.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 9:18 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• depends. Drug addiction isn't something you get over it's something you deal with your whole life. I have two nephews one has been clean and sober for 3 years doesn't even drink. My other one has been in and out of rehab and detox for the same amount of time. He is now back abusing prescription drugs again.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:20 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I don't think so but this question is a little personal to me. My oldest son's (technically my SS) Bio mom is about to get out of Prison. She was in there because of Meth and she wants my oldest son back. We are getting ready to go to court with a bunch of her family to say that she shouldn't have custody of him.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 26, 2010