How much formula?

I'm curious as to how much formula my son should be taking in one setting, and how often at this point. He is five weeks old. I think he is eating way too much. I try the pacifier, walking, talking to him, rocking him, changing clothes and his diaper, burping, the swing, the bouncy seat, and he will cry until I feed him. He sometime takes 8oz in two hours and another four oz three hours later! I think it is way too much for him to be eating but it is the only thing to satisfy him. I have even tried doing his bottle two oz at a time but he always wants more. What should I do?

tarynnsmom2

Asked by tarynnsmom2 at 5:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that he is fine, boys eat more and they only eat when they are hungry, they will spit up quite a bit if they are overeating. Some people might say yes it is too much, but it isn't fair to make him suffer if he is hungry.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:30 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• You can't feed a formula baby whatever. You have to feed only a max amount a feeding and a max amount a day. The hospital and the doctor should have given you charts telling you how much. You can't feed a formula fed baby on demand.

Babies have a strong sucking need. Breastfed babies can meet this need at the breast without getting too much milk. The last milk a baby gets at the breast is high in fat and makes the baby feel full. Formula is all the same in fat and bottle feeding is nothing like breastfeeding. Even bottle feeding human milk is not the same as breastfeeding.

You need to find out what the max amount your baby should be eating and stick to it. Formula feeding has lifelong health consequences. If you allow your baby to become overweight, obesity can be one of them.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:16 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• GASP GAILL!! MY NICES WERE FORMULA FEED AND ARE UNDERWEIGHT!! FORMULA DOENST MEAN BEING OVERWEIGHT. OP DONT LITSTEN TO GAILL EVER . SHE GIVES OUT WRONG INFORMATION. MY DD WAS FF AND AT THAT AGE SHE TOOK 4 OZ EVERY 4-5 HRS.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:51 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• IMO opinion that is way to much, at this point he should nly be eating 4-6 oz. every 3-4 hours
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 1:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2010