Is it to late to try and get my children interested in religion (they are 11, 9, and 8) and how can I do it?

I want to be more religious and have my kids be more into religion but is it to late for me to try and get them interested in religion, and How can I get them interested without being forceful?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I guess I should have also stated I desire to be conservative and seperated from the worldly ways but my kids are old enought that they know somewhat of what they would be without if we took it away now, and I dont want them to rebel against what it is that I want them to be (sorry if that is confusing not sure how else to put it)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:30 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Its not too late, and I think the best way to begin is just to start talking to them about what you believe and why you want to start exploring religion. Go to the library and check out age appropriate books.  Find a church for you to attend and talk to your kids about why you chose a particular church. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• You can start by finding a house of worship where you are all comfortable attending weekly services. Then you can all start taking classes.

Or, you can home school for religious education.

Have you chosen a religion?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• No it is a great time for them to explore. I suggest you go to a different church every week for a while until you find the one that really fits and makes them and you comfortable. Maybe they can pick 3 and study up on them after going once and decide from there. It can be a fun family activity to do together.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Kudos to you for wanting to encourage your children! Too many overbearing parents try forcing their kids into religion and the results are usually not good!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:45 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Truthfully there is really know way of doing it with out just telling them ( your kids), this is the way things are going to be. JMO

Answer by louise2 at 6:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• honestly, trying to get your kids into religion is forceful. the are perfect the way they are - free from any one person or group telling them what to think and how to act, or to give them guilt of living life to the fullest. After all, you are a grown woman and you are just now decided to become more religious, so you are making your very own choice with out any sit down talks or influence. (I hope) The best advice I can give on this one is that you live your life by example, and IF your children ask about any changes or rituals THEN explain it to them.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 7:29 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It is never too late to introduce to them the love and grace of our loving savior. Find a church in your area where you are comfortable with the worship and childrens programs.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• and i'd like to add, unless you feel something is truly and totally OFF, don't judge a church by just one service. you'll need to go several times, to get a real feel for that particular body of believers. yes, do your research about the denomination/church's mission statement/etc..if you have questions, as you likely do/will, the church leaders should be more than welcoming of any questions..they many have materials for you to take home and read, and should be willing to actually talk to you in person about your questions.
    your kids are not too young, and you are not forcing them to do anything. they are children, and live in your house. if you, as the parent , decides your family will attend church somewhere, then your family attends somewhere. don't waffle-be the parent. when they are 18 and out of your house, if they decide differently, then that's their decisions. for now, its on your shoulders.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:59 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I didn't start taking my kids to church until a few years ago. I used to go on my own, make the kids go every so often. The teenagers are starting to embrace the Lord especially my son now that they go every week. It is never too late.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 9:12 AM on Jan. 26, 2010