would u be upset if your SO lied about how much money was in the bank??

i live with my boyfriend, and he has a problem with fudging on how much money he has in the bank. im a SAHM and we arent married, we dont have a joint acct or anything, but if i just ask how much is in there he will tell me oh 300 and then when i look at his statement it will say 500 or 600. do i have the right to be upset?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• If it bothers you then talk to him in a calm mannor.Or let it go, it doesn't seem to me to be a big deal.'AS LONG AS HE GIVES YOU MONEY when you need it or want some.'You should ALWAYS have some money on you for saftey reasons.You also never know what you'll need during the day till you need it.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 8:15 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• yes you are a SAHM and need to know that you are financially sound or able to go do things, you need a joint account since you don't work, it isn't fair for you to have no money. It puts you in a very dangerous situation.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• i'd be upset but atleast there isn't less than he's saying. maybe he's just trying to give some cushion.
    kyleighsmama07

Answer by kyleighsmama07 at 7:35 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• No we both know how to check the balance of our joint accounts so lying would make no sense. The amount you are talking about is small and not enough to call someone a liar.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Is it possible he's just not very good at keeping track of his money. It's quite possible he has no clue how little or how much he has.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 7:59 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• no, it's his account right? me and my hubby have seperate accounts and it's his business as long as the bills get paid on time. does he grill you on how much you have in your account? besides it was not that far off from the actual amount. maybe he wanted to lowball it instead of over-estimating.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:01 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• You are being really irresponsible to SAHM with no access to money. Until you become an equal, you need to make your own money.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 8:16 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Maybe he's just keeping a cushion in case of emergency. My mom used to give a smaller number as well. In her mind she gave me the amount that in her mind could be spent on everyday things (bills, food, etc) The rest was what she wouldn't touch unless it was an emergency. That way she was never broke but if you asked her, you'd think she was!

Answer by admckenzie at 8:53 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I think it would depend. Does he lie about other things? My SO is on the road for work, he probably couldn't give me an accurate amount of what's in his account at any given time w/o going online to check the balance. He has to eat, buy cigs, fuel up the truck, etc. If I asked him, he'd probably give me an estimate, and it may or may not be accurate. I wouldn't be too worried unless he lies about other things, or has had a habit in the past that would worry you (drugs, drinking, gambling, etc). As long as you have enough money to pay the bills and you guys aren't hurting for money (meaning, he's telling you you have 300 and you need 600 to pay the bills this month), I'd just let it go. You could always, in a non confrontational way, tell him you saw the balance and you're just curious as to why it's different than what he told you.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:05 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• No. Because you are not married and he has not promised to share all his "stuff" with you. He is a liar, and that's an indication of bad character. Men of good character don't lie. If you want to be upset with someone, then be upset with yourself for choosing a man of such poor character. And remember, if he lies to you about this, he is also most likely lying to you about a lot of other things. You simply have to decide how important truth and honesty is to you and then make a decision as to whether or not lying and dishonesty is something you can live with. It would be very difficult for me to live with a man I knew I couldn't trust.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2010