hearing loss

i have three kids one is almost four and twins 9 months old all have hearing loss mild they can hear but not clear .they all have hearing aids .its hard for me keep them on for long time ad i don't have any help either my husband wont' come till late night.sometime i get so frastured and worry about them they will able talk normal.if somebody has same situation please share

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I don't see why you would put aides on a 9mo. Have you spoken with the school district to get your oldest child speech therapy? My son who is almost four has hearing issues and we received a year of speech therapy through the school district and we have him in preschool as well. You need to make sure you speak to her as much as possible and socialize her so she can catch up to her peers. When your twins are around 18mo you can request an evaluation to get speech therapy for them as well, the sooner the better.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 8:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• my daughter was born deaf. hearing aids at 3 months old. she has a progressive type of hearing loss so at 3 years old she got a cochlear implant. today she is 8, in mainstream 3rd grade in a foreign country where there are no support systems but uses an FM system and gets As & Bs. she speaks 2 lanugages fluently and about to learn a 3rd starting next semester and Godwilling we are planning fora 2nd CI in the summer. she HAS to work extra hard and needs constant support from home..she has never learned a signed word. none of this could have happened without our trust in God and turning to Him to take care of her. to think that there was a time when she was a baby when i didn't know if she'd ever be able to say 'mama'..
    all good comes from the One True God.. feel free to pm me..
    muhajjirah

Answer by muhajjirah at 8:16 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Patsajack: "I don't see why you would put aides on a 9mo."

Me: actually babies are aided as SOON as they are born and fail the ABR which is a hearing test given that checks the activity of the brain in response to sound. the SOONER a baby is aided the BETTER the outcome. plus before any speech therapy is rendered hearing tests MUST be confirmed either way to assure there is no hearing loss..and if there is- well that is what needs to be addressed FIRST- AND THEN after that would come the speech therapy.
    muhajjirah

Answer by muhajjirah at 8:20 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

Also, Patsajack, it is critical for young infants to hear as many sounds as possible for, at the very minimum, their native tongue because, if the brain is not exposed to those sounds on a regular basis, it will not recognize them and eventually begin to filter them out as nonsense noise, thus making the understanding or creation of speech more difficult. Also, speech therapy can and should begin waaaay before 18 months old for a child who is HOH.

To the OP: Call Early Intervention services for your area and tell them you have hearing impaired infants and would like them evaluated for services. They will send someone out to evaluate them, then, if needed, they will provide the appropriate services in your home, which should help your situation some with helping your wee ones with getting the benefits from their hearing aids. Good luck mama!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• and speech therapy begins can begin ASAP...even if the child isn't speaking. actually a speech therapist is called a Speech and Language Pathologist..before a child can begin speaking, receptive language needs to be addressed..so its important that even newborns with hearing loss be treated as it is a support for the caregiver as well. this is what early intervention can address and if hearing loss is the issue then it should be a pediatric speech therapist who specializes in children with hearing loss. i speak out of experience as a mom, and as an occupational therapist..
    muhajjirah

Answer by muhajjirah at 8:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I agree keep the aids on as much as possible. My DD was not aided until she was 3 and it took her so long to catch up. I can say though she is in mainstream 2nd grade and top of her class. She has tons of friends and is very social. She started getting early childhood intervention at 3 and they helped so much. Your kids can start that already so call. She is fluent in American sign lang. and has a signing para at school. My DD talks pretty well if she slows down a little. She has overcome so much and your kids can too. I know it can be very hard and stressful and with the other parent not helping out is worse. Your DH needs to step up and help. I was against learning ASL at first but I'm happy we did not only is she fluent but she can live and be social in both the deaf and hearing world. Just try and make your kids wear their aids as much as possible it is very important in learning to speak and understand. PM me anytime GL
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 10:11 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It’s really sad to hear that your LO is going through all this. One of my cousins is in similar condition. She has a DS who is just 6 months old and has hearing aids. It’s really tough time to see your child with disability but at the same time we should see to it that he/she gets what all they need in terms of treatment and therapies so they could live life similar to others.

ruby.yeager

Answer by ruby.yeager at 7:11 AM on Oct. 17, 2012