this has been posting on facebook...what are your thoughts. (reg haiti & u.s ) no bashing.

" shame on u america the only country where we have homeless without shelters, children going to bed with out eating, elderly going with out needed meds, and mentally ill with out treatment- yet we have a benifit and raise somewer around 57 million for the people of hatit on 12 t.v stations.."
my question is.. what are your thoughts? do u agree, or disagree, there is no bashing just opinions. theres no wrong answers. i do think help was needed there but we also need help here.......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• its a lie. Many children in 3 world countries go to bed hungry and homeless line the streets or live in horrible conditions in slums. I do agree that while it is nice to help those in need we have plenty in this country that are in need too. I think we need to focus alittle more on our own along with everyone else.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:23 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I think that a disaster is different than what is going on around us day to day. I agree that it is shameful in a world where we have so much that anyone anywhere has to go to bed hungry and dirty! But I think when a WHOLE country has lost everything, that we as Americans would be wrong to turn our back on them. Hurricane Katrina inspired many donations and such from our own. I hope that we will continue to help Haiti and our own as well! But a big difference that an entire country needs help, no water, electirc, shelter anywhere!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I think that the difference is that Haitians need imediate help - they have no water and no means of helping themselves at present, thanks to the damage done to their already fragile infrastructure.

Yes, America has problems of its own, but there are also already many programs in place to help the homeless, children, elderly etc. No, the system isn't perfect and far too many fall through the cracks, but many of the issues mentioned aren't something that you could throw 57 million at and solve. Many homeless have made choices that leave them that way. Pretty much every State has programs for feeding kids in need, but they need to apply to be part of those programs. I think the problem isn't so much how much money is spent on attempting to solve these problems (as millions are already spent). Instead, the issue is that the community as a whole tends to be selfish and leaves the work to an overworked few.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• This was posted last night by an anon, and it started a bunch of crap. WHY would you do it again?????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• When over 100,000 Americans die from a natural disaster and no one comes to help, THEN they can bitch. In the meantime they should shut the hell up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I think if people want to donate, fine. Personally I don't understand telethons, we're all adults and know a worthy cause when we see one and should not have to be entertained to help. That telethon was on more than a dozen channels the other night. There are huge problems here. It is very easy to say there are programs in place (that not everyone qualifies for) for the homeless, elderly, abused and neglected children and that even those people who are not gettting help have it better than those in Haiti right now. I highly doubt any of those titles fit anyone here so no one who has been saying that really has any business doing so. If your relatives were any of those not getting healthcare or enough to eat or didn't have a place to live, you might grasp what others are saying about those millions needing to stay here. No one is saying what happened isn't horrible but yes, problems here should be addressed too. Period.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I agree.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• So donate here as well. No one is stopping you. But to withhold life saving measures based on the fact that we have homeless people here too is faulty logic and heartless.
    Anonymous