Haiti: My dd saw the pictures and images on the news yesterday as my father watched(cuz she's nosey), and asked "How old do you have to be to die?"

For a 7.5 y/o, that's a pretty deep question. I don't want to lie to her when we have our discussion! What would you say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oooh, pretty deep there mom. My son read a time magazine in the doctors office about the devastation in Haiti, He's still beside himself about it.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• tell her no one knows for sure when its there time,when god needs there help then he will call and it will be there time. tell her if she eats fruits and veggies and stuff like that she could live to be 100
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:21 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I'm pretty much into honesty about these things, and would probably tell her that people of any age CAN die.... however most people live to be old enough to be grandparents or even great-grandparents. The situation in Haiti is obviously one where she will see that children did die, so you don't want to tell her something that is dishonest. I would also stress that although tragedies do happen sometimes, it is very likely that she will live to a ripe old age.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:30 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I like Freela's answer. Honesty is the best policy. That is a really deep question for such a little girl to ask, but it's a good one and a genuine one and I feel she's deserving of a genuine answer. I don't know what religion you are, but if you're Christian you can also tell her that Jesus is building homes for us in Heaven. Some people's homes get built before others' and when our home is done, he calls us. That's what I remember my grandmother telling me when I was about your daughter's age.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Aww your sweet little girl. I have an 8 yr old. She asked questions when her papoo died. I answered her honestly usually shaking my head yes but in a sad way. Lastly and most importantly, I ensured her that she was going to live a long time and she should not worry. I know its corny but I got my inspiration from Titanic when Jack tells Rose she is going to live to be an old lady and etc. lol My dd and I love that movie.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 9:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Be honest with her, why lie to your chldren?
    Tell her anyone CAN die at any age... but no-one wants to leave, and you will always do everything you can to stay with her.

Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 11:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I believe honesty is the best policy also. I do also think that you need to keep it short and simple and use simple language with her.

Something similar to sometimes bad things happen and people die, no matter how old you are. Let her ask you questions and answer her simply.

Best of luck with your conversation with her.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 11:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2010