All year school: Yay or Nay?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 9:23 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would like to have a year-round school. Studies show that children retain information better, and have overall better test scores when attending school year-round. Our district looked into it, but many parents were opposed - I can't think of a good reason to not go to school year round.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I'm a big nay, simply because I love having the summer off with my kids to do fun things like go to the cottage, go to the zoo, meet up with friends, etc. I really cherish that family time together, especially now that the kids are in school and don't get to spend as much time with us and with each other.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• We are transitioning from year around to the traditional calendar in our school. There are pluses and minuses. Year around schools can house more students but are very expensive to maintain and staff-after about 10 years its a wash as far as money. Most parents love it when all of their kids are in elementary school (our middle and high schools have always been traditional) but when they have kids on different schedules it becomes an issue. Our economy has grown around the year around schedule as far as camps, daycares and other activities geared to having kids while they are on break. The issue of retaining information with shorter breaks is up in the air for us- there are more breaks so the year is chopped up and it can be difficult to schedule units around the 9 week block of instruction. In the end, we are moving to the traditional schedule mainly at the request of parents and because CONT
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:29 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Our district has some year round schools, but not all. Its just some of the elementary schools. My neighbors who sent their kids to the year round school loved it until they had a kid in elementary and a kid in middle or high school. Then the breaks didn't match and it was a pain. They said the education was fine. My kids go to a private school for a number of reasons, but the year round thing was not a part of it. In general I think it's a good idea.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:30 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• our population as leveled off. When we were growing- we had to have the year around schedule because we could not build schools fast enough. As an educator, I am excited that the kids will not be in the same class with the same kids for 7 years. That is something that is either wonderful or a complete disaster depending on the chemistry between the kids and parents. I am also excited that we can put kids with teachers that better fit their needs each year rather than what teacher is assigned to their schedule.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• soyousay, the year round school was that the standard 180 days then?
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 9:33 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Yes please. Summers are hell where I work because all the brats don't have curfews and run around till dawn causing problems.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:37 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Jen- yes 180 day calendar. Is there a district thinking about a longer school year? With the state of funding for education, I would be interested in knowing if there are schools that can extend the school year. That would be a different question- I am sorry if I missed the point of the question. Let me think on the issue of a LONG school year- I am an advocate for education but also firmly believe in downtime and non structured learning for kids. I will come back later when I have my thoughts together. Interesting question though... I know that for at risk kids there are programs that keep them in school for more days.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:53 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• i say Nay. Because i believe the children need that break.....I was in high school just 3 years ago... in elementry school they spend all week learning....on weekends they spend all of it doing homework instead of being children........high school is stressful enough between preparing for the real world, friends, test,sats, etc...you get the picture. Everyone needs a break after you take on the responisability of an adult theres no turning back. So a big NO on my end. Let the kids be kids.
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 10:04 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My kids are in year round school. I liked it when they were all in elementary school, but I now have one in middle and we could have chosen a year round middle but they don't do year round high schools (because of issues with AP classes and sports) so you get to where you have kids on two different schedules - and that's really hard! It was nice having their breaks spread throughout the year so we could vacation in the off season, but it also messed up their summer camps and VBS week at church. There are positives and negatives to both schedules.
    I am going to try to switch my younger two to traditional next year so their schedule will match their middle school brother's (but my ex doesn't want to, so it'll be fight!)

Answer by missanc at 10:07 AM on Jan. 26, 2010