What would you do?

I work at a school where I do attendance and trauncy. I work full time, well the office manager is leaving to go to another school and I was told I would have to take on all her duties.... Here is the kicker NO MORE MONEY. He wants me to do my job and all of hers for what I am making . I just don't know how that is right and what I can do about it other than quitting, because lets face it the economy sucks and jobs are hard to find!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• They are takin the piss.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It does suck, more work for the same money. My guess is that if you left, they would hire another person in to do both jobs at the same rate of pay you are making. I understand your frustration, but many companies are combining jobs to save money.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I just hate the fact she makes twice what I do so it just gets me so mad
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Can you ask for a rase, something? I don't know it just seems if she made so much more than you then they could give you something?I'm sorry that just really stinks! The economy is terrible.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 9:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It sucks but you may just have to buck up and do it if you want to keep working there. And remember you can only do so much...perhaps they will realize it's too much work for one person after you've done it for a while..?
    It does stink though
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Whatever happened to the good ole days where people were proud to accept MORE responsibilities? What do you think about all the volunteer Firefighters and EMT's out there who don't get paid to risk their lives to possibly save yours? In your case of need some time when you have a fire or other emergency... what if they said, "cha ya know what... I'm not getting paid to do this... I think I'll let her die"??? THIS IS FRICKIN AMERICA PEOPLE... LET'S BE PROUD TO DO WORK AND NOT LAZY ASSES!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Huh anon? She already IS working and they want to dump the responsibilities of a whole other job on her. Calling her lazy is a bit ignorant don't you think?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Tell them that you would like to negociate. If you they want you to take on more work, then you want to get a raise. Talk with them and see if you guys can find a middle ground.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:24 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I can totally feel your frustration on this one. It's not very fair and it's unfortunate, but at this point it doesn't seem like you have much choice but to go along with it. The economy is terrible, jobs are hard to find and the sad thing is if you left, they WOULD find someone to do all the work for the little amount of pay, because at the end of the day, it's better than nothing. I am so sorry for your situation. The only thing you can do is nicely request a raise and if they decline at least you tried!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• ANON 9:46.... I do work very hard I might add.... I make sure the place that people send their kids to learn is free of bad influences. I am proud to work and I am not a lazy american. I work full time to enrich our youth and I am also a volunteer on weekends and non school days for my childs daycare... I am very active in her life as well as extra school fund raisers(which I do not get paid for and would not want to) I just think that if you are given a added postion and duties at least they could give me a small raise to take on all the stress that comes along with. I started out at a part time employee and they have added so much over the past two years I went to full time and still make the same hourly rate I did when I was part time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2010