Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where to start with name changes?

It's been a few months and I still haven't changed my last name to DH's. Where do I start with this? To get one form o ID, you usually need another. So what do I change first to get started? Social security? State drivers license? Bank stuff? Do I also change the name on my birth certificate? Are there any other places I'll need to repot the change to? I wanna have it done and out of the way before I need a military ID and passport. Will any of these changes be hard if I don't have my husband with me? I do have the marriage license.

Answer Question

Asked by at 9:37 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • I'm in the same process and we got married in June so don't feel bad lol. I went to the Social Security office. All you have to do is fill out an application and bring that with your marriage certificate. It's free and easy. The driver's license I'm unsure of because I have an IL one and we're stationed in VA. The SS card is the best place to start though. Good luck!

    Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

  • Bring your marriage license with you and go to the Social Security office and the drivers license office and anything else you need to change.. No you can not change your birth certificate, that will always stay the same. Everything else changes.


    Answer by louise2 at 9:44 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

  • No you don't change your birth certificate. Your birth information has not changed.

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:44 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

  • Start with your S.S first, you can change you bills too they don't need proof of marriage maybe some will but all you really need is your Marriage Certificate. You can do your license with your certificate too, that's all they asked for.


    Answer by cynprz at 9:48 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

  • You start with the SS office. You'll need your marriage license that states your new name. Our's had a spot specifically for my new married name that had to be filled in if I wanted to change it (they didn't tell us that, but were able to send us a corrected one). In NC, I had to wait 48 hours before going to get the name on my license changed (I don't know if that varies by state). I did need my marriage license to change my driver's license, as well.

    Answer by acollins09 at 9:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

  • You first need to go to the Social Security office and change your name with the state before you can change anything else. If you don't change your name with the state first, then you are not able to change your license or anything else. You can go to your state governments website to find out what forms of idenification you'll need.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:22 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

  • My daughter has my maiden name. Can I change hers at the same time?

    Answer by at 11:12 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

  • To change your daughter's name, you have to go to the office of vital records and your husband will have to sign an acknowledgement of paternity form. Bring your marriage certificate, and there's a small fee for it, but it will get done that day. Once you get the birth certificate with her new name, take that to the social security office and they'll issue her a new card with her new name. I just went through this as well lol.

    Answer by nicolemstacy at 1:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

  • I do not think you can change your DD name. That has nothing to do with you getting married. i think you have to go through a laywer for that.

    Answer by louise2 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.