what month should i start feeding my son cearel he is 4 months in feb..?

proudmommy8809

Asked by proudmommy8809 at 9:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It depends on your child. I started with my oldest at a month because her pedi recommended it with her acid reflux. My 2nd Dd was probably around 3-4 months and my son was around 3 months. If you do, make sure you start with the plain rice and I wouldn't recommend adding cereal with fruits until a little older : ) FYI, my kids couldn't eat the bananas because it made them EXTREMELY gassy!
    kristielee79

Answer by kristielee79 at 9:49 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• 4-6 months is the recomendation. Both my kids were starting foods at that age
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:45 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• there is no need to ever feed that to your child... i would say NEVER.... a child gains nothing from solids untill they are 9months or something... look in up on the internet and talk to your doctor!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• 4-6 months. Depending on your son and whether he appears to need an increase in food.
    Also whether your Pedi feels it's the right time.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:13 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I started my daughter around 4-6 months also. Basically whenever I could tell that the formula is just not doing enough for her.

And the lady screaming at you never - nevermind her. She says the same thing to everyone that asks a question about cereal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• It is recommended babies be exclusively breastfed until 6 months. At that time they can start banana, sweet potato, or avocado. Just mash a little and let the baby feed itself.

The earliest any baby should have anything other than breastmilk or formula is 4 months. I agree that babies never need cereal. They don't need jar foods, puffs, or other baby foods.

I'm glad to see other people that know that baby cereal is not good for babies.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:10 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Babies should get only breast milk or formula (no solids, including cereal)  for at LEAST the first 6 months. That is the recommendation of the World Health Organization, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, UNICEF and many others. Here is an article explaining why any solid food before 6 months is harmful (and all its sources are sited)

Why Delay Solids?

We never gave our son cereal.  It's really just a bunch of iron that isn't even bio-available (usable) and will constipate baby.  We started our son on sweet potatoes.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2010