Depression.

My sister went thru the postpartum after her pregnancy. And now that my daughter is almost here my sister picks with me all the time saying that Im going go thru the same thing and be depressed all the time after she gets here..I havent felt like that at all during my whole pregnancy and I honestly dont believe that I will feel like that afterwards either..I have been looking forward for this day for along time and we are so excited about it.S what are the chances? How do you know if you will go thru this or not??

KendallsMommie1

Asked by KendallsMommie1 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• She's probably just projecting. There's really no way to know if you will have to deal with Post-partum depression, although I would thing that if you have a history of depression that you would be more likely to. I would do your best to ignore her and enjoy your new baby! Congrats!
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I don't think anybody really thinks they will feel like that after the precious baby they have waited for gets here. Nobody wants to feel like that! I never had PPD, but I did have the "baby blues" after my 1st which was just a very emotional 2-3 days after getting home from the hospital - I contribute it to the exhaustion and hormones, but I was a little weepy and maybe slightly irrational. :) There's no guarantee how you're going to feel, brush her off and do what feels right for you. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 10:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• When you're prego you have tons of happy hormones coursing through your body getting you ready for the big day. Problem is after the big day comes, there are no more happy hormones. Add to that lack of sleep, not eating properly, not being able to just pick up and go out when you need a break and you could end up with ppd. Then again, you might not. It's more common than you think. I hope you don't get it but if you do just try to remember there is nothing wrong with you, a lot of us have been there, and your doctor can help you deal with it.

Your sister shouldn't be like that. Tell her to go play in traffic and let you enjoy your pregnancy! GL!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:04 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Because your sister went through it means nothing for you. It isn't hereditary, so it isn't passed on through the family.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:11 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Wow you have issues. Don't send me private messages troll.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:18 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I think your chances are as good as your state of mind. If you have a great foundation for the baby and are happy in life I don't see how it's possible. I believe postpartum comes from the anxiety of already battling feelings inside and the overwhelming task of it all. If you have been looking forward for this day... I'm sure you're gonna be on cloud 9 ..I sure was!=) Congrats.
    LangleyLove

Answer by LangleyLove at 10:19 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• i can't tell from your post if your sister is being mean or just trying to be supportive. you might get the blues, you might not. hormones do go crazy after birth, and sleep deprivation can be tough. but there is no need right now having anyone insisting that you are going to get depressed. just go on feeling positive about things, stay as positive as you can, and if it does so happen that you feel blue, just talk to someone about it. i didn't have full blown PPD but i did get a little down when my son was born. it's normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• i googled it btw, and about 5%-25% of women get PPD so chances are you will not. but it's impossible to tell who will and who won't
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jan. 26, 2010