Atheists desire to live lives of debauchery which is why they reject God.

For them, believing in God means that they would have to be accountable for their actions. To them, that would be unacceptable.

Do you agree or disagree with this? Why or why not?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:52 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• When I first moved to Manhattan after graduate school, I moved in with three other recent grads that I had never met before. All of them are atheists and I have yet to come across kinder, more accepting or more altruistic individuals. They are the best friends I have today. I don't understand this notion that without faith people have no moral compass or compassion. That's simply not true. It's in our nature to do good, not all of us do it out of fear of punishment.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 10:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I don't think it's limited to Atheists. Christians turn from God for the same reason. Debauchery is tempting to many. The flesh is weak.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:53 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I disagree. I hold myself accountable for everything I do. I stand up for what I have done and what I did. I take responsibility, for I am the only person who chooses what I do and don't do. Nobody has control over what I choose, what I believe, or what I say. God or no God I take responsibility for everything that I do/say. I have no qualms with that.

I don't believe in god, because I base my faith in science. Phsyical proof is what I believe in. There isn't any physical proof of god, of jesus, of any of that. I cannot put faith into something I cannot prove.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:10 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Agree.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:22 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I don't drink, smoke, cheat, lie, steal, kill and many more awful things... so where is the wanted debauchery in MY life as an Atheist? I didn't reject religion/God because I wanted to do bad things free from consequence. There are consequences for everything and I hold MYSELF accountable if I screw up. I do not need to behave out of fear of hell or disappointing a God, I behave because I love and respect myself and my fellow man.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• HAHAHA!! That's just laughable! I have met more "bad" people that are Theists than I have those that are Atheist! That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• For them, believing in God means that they would have to be accountable for their actions. To them, that would be unacceptable.

Actually it is the complete opposite.  Not having a deity to absolve me of my wrong doings means that I alone am accountable for all my actions.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:37 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Disagree. I don't find it unacceptable to hold myself accountable. In fact, my lack of a belief leaves NO BODY but myself to be held accountable. I don't have a devil to place blame on for my "bad" behaviors. I attribute it to my being human and making mistakes, AND learning from them so as not to repeat them. I and I alone are accountable for myself.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Disagree. I don't smoke, drink, lie, cheat, murder, etc. I don't have any one to blame for my actions either. I reap the consequences of whatever I sow on my own. Now I would have to question exactly what life of debauchery I am leading. Raising two girls to love and respect one another, teaching them to say please and thank you and to do nice things for others? Maybe it was the cookies I made with my family.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• disagree..there are plenty of people who claim a religion (not restricted to xtianity), that are simply nasty, good-for-nothing humans...morality and religion are not exclusively attached.
    i will also state, many non-xtians believe xtians claim carte-blance with their lives simply because they believe in a forgiving God..its not always the case. yes, God is forgiving..but not unless you've asked for forgiveness. that doesn't mean you can continue 'sinning' or being nasty, ugly humans. because one has known true grace and mercy, one should STRIVE to live according to what is right..its not a 'collect $200-pass' to do/be whatever your selfish, sinful nature desires. how one lives, in accordance to God's standards, IS ON THEIR ON HEAD..so, don't be fooled into thinking the free-pass is inexpireable. (sp? lol) each person has an individual accountability to be the best they can be..whether its God-inspired or self.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2010