Atheism is due to bad childhood experiences with false religions.

Do you think Atheists reject God because they weren't brought up correctly in 'true' religions? Do you think if someone would have raised them in the 'truth' of God, they wouldn't be an Atheist?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that no matter how you raise your children, they are going to find their own paths. Some will be content with the religion of their youth while others will find that it doesn't satisfy their spiritual needs and will search for another religion (or no religion). Except in extreme circumstances, there is no way to prevent them from making their own decisions. Our children aren't clones of us, they have their own brains and they are going to use them!
    FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 7:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• No I don't. I think it's a part of finding their own path. I know many who were reared in a Christian home with a great upbringing who claim to be Atheists. They think they were programmed by their parents and the church and have turned from God bc they want control over their own life and beliefs.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• No, I was raised in a Christian home. Not really interested in God at all...
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I know one woman who turned from the church after the congregation and youth minister ostracized her for being a teen mom. She grew up in a Christian family. She loved going to church. She sinned (as we all do) and she took responsibility for her actions but they judged her and turned their back on her. So she turned her back on God. She won't even allow her children to go to church. So sometimes Christians "make" Atheists by harming their spirit when they need the church and God the most.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:01 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• No I don't think or believe that at all. I know alot of "Good Christians" that make me want to GAG. Luckily my faith in GOD has never waivered
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• No. I had a very good childhood with parents who both attended church regularly. We were brought along every Sunday until we were 17 and could choose for ourselves. I know families who were brought up in strict religious backgrounds and members who still don't believe. Families who had no religious background in the house hold and still believed. It isn't about what you were brought up in, what religion, or what force was put upon you. It's about what you see to be real and not.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:07 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• admckenzie, I don't think Atheists can be made. In the example you gave, this woman turned from God because of the way she was treated. In her heart, she probably STILL believes in God but has lost faith in the Church. An Atheist cannot be mad at something they don't even thinks exists, and her keeping her children away from the church tells me she is not a real Atheist because they would not feel threatened by having their children exposed to religion.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:07 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I think most atheist know there is a God but they are scared so they go around yelling mental illness or imaginary friend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• no. i do think there are a small few who are just mad at God for things in their lives & call themselves Atheists to "get back" at Him, but as a whole no. i have a friend who didnt like things in one denomination of Christianity & decided the whole God thing was bumpkus, but again, this isnt the majority.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:19 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Well, I think believers know deep down in their hearts there is no God, but are too afraid to admit it... so there anon. Elementary school is over, the bell has rung, now everyone stop acting like five year olds PLEASE. What is with all the negative, insulting jevinile responses this morning from people who profess to love, worship and believe in God?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:21 AM on Jan. 26, 2010