Atheists would see God if they only opened their hearts to God and Jesus.

Do you think this way? Did they not have enough faith and turned away too soon when not finding answers in religion/God? Do you think the majority of believers turned Atheists were never real believers in the first place- that they didn't want it badly enough?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD!   Atheism is as simple as that for me, so why would I want to enslave myself to religion that wants to suck all the life out me when the very core of that belief is total bollocks?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I grew up in an Episcopalian church. The first seventeen years of my life I listened to sermons, bible verses, and "The word of God" every Sunday. I even attended bible study one year for a few weeks. I cannot wrap my head around believing in something that has no scientific proof. It's not about not wanting it hard enough, or not being given a chance to believe. I had a chance to believe for seventeen years and I paid attention to see what all the hype was about. I still don't believe.

My husband is Athiest and it's the same with him. It is hard for him to believe in something that has no scientific proof. Just as we don't believe in ghosts either. There's no proof to that finding. I'm a science based girl and so is the hubbs. We don't easily fall into blind faith of something that cannot be proven.

And no. The bible is not proof. The earth is not proof. That doesn't fly with me, there's still no physical evidence.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:04 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• no, most Atheists ive talked to say they never really believed in God in the first place. i wouldnt be surprised if there were some Atheists who just didnt get their answers fast enough, but thats not the majority. i dont think wanting to believe ever works, you either do or you dont...and some just dont. if somebody only wanted to believe but didnt they would be lying to themselves & thats not accomplishing anything. and those who did actually believe at some point, i would be interested if there was something big that made them question their faith, but ppl grow & change, its possible they slowly stopped believing.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:09 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Christian here... You seem to want to stir the pot and get the old "Christians are always looking down on everyone and act so righteous" cliche' going again. Its old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Anon... honestly. Everytime I post something about Atheism, the poor Christians have to come out and whine about it. You know what? Not everything is about YOU, so get over it, grow up and if you don't like what I'm posting STFU and move on.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:18 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Yes, Yes and Yes.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:20 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Don't get offended just because I called you out. You know exactly what you are doing here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I dont pretend to know every atheists reasons. My husband is borderline atheist, agnostic, I think? Ive asked but I am uncertain because he is uncertain. Somedays we need boxing gloves...lol JK I think he feels that he needs "proof." I understand that. Or they have encountered people (christians, priests, pastors) that have misinformed them and mislead them. I also think there is somewhat of a personality clash. I dont know how to explain it. Like too strong willed or something?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:35 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I whole-heartedly believed in God and Jesus when I was a teenager. I was baptized and saved and a very active member of my church youth group. I had a lot of insecurities about myself and the world, and it felt awesome believing that something so big could love someone as insignficant as me.

College and gaining self confidence drew me away from my beliefs over a span of a few years. I'm a very logical thinker, and the huge amount of evidence against particular bible stories made me question how much if any of it was true. There have been thousands of religions in the world, and I could no longer pinpoint any one as being more truer than the other. Logic won out.

Some will claim I was never a true believer, which doesn't make sense to me, unless only true believers never ever doubt the validity of their faith.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• "Don't get offended just because I called you out. You know exactly what you are doing here. "

ROFL, she's asking a question anon. If that makes you uncomfortable, perhaps you should skip it?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 26, 2010