You cannot prove that God doesn’t exist; therefore, atheism is based on faith.

True or not? Why or why not?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:00 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Belief means the same as faith, so why can faith only be used in a religious sense?

I think that regardless of the dictionary definition how a word is commonly used gives its meaning. I think that since faith is so closely identified with religion, those that are not religious prefer to use the word belief in its place. To me, if you identify how you feel as a faith or a belief is up to you. I am Christian and I respect the faith or beliefs of all others. I only know a few atheists IRL and they tend to call what they think as their belief system, most religious people I know call what they think (or feel) as their faith.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I would replace the word faith with belief... both are beliefs...
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:11 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Why do you care so much? This is the 3rd ? you've posted about atheism (not complaining or saying stop just curious as to why you're so curious?) To answer this specific ? atheism is the opposite of faith- you can't prove god does exist so atheists believe in what they can see vs what they've been brainwashed into believing what may possibly exist.

Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:13 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• ^ what she said
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 10:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• 1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions 2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust 3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs synonyms: belief

Belief means the same as faith, so why can faith only be used in a religious sense?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Nyx7, I'm posting to get some conversation going, to see other people's points of views and perhaps to LEARN something. Is it because I'm posting about Atheism that you're so upset? If you don't like the questions then feel free to ignore them and move on... or better yet, post some of your own.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:16 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• FALSE. Faith by definition is belieivng in something without solid evidence. It's faulty logic trying to prove something does not exist. I could claim I have Santa living in my basement, but you're not required to have faith he does not live there, know what I mean?
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:24 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• by this definition you gave, "3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction," yes.

but technically, its a lack of faith in God, not faith itself. so i guess we could call it a non-faith in God, but saying Atheism is a belief is a lot easier!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• again as I stated the 1st time to try to avoid confusion, not upset or angry or anything besides curious. You posted 3 athiesm ?'s pretty much back to back & I was curious as to why. It sounds to me like you are figuring out things you don't understand vs trying to be a troll so I just wanted to know if you were asking to really know or just be a pain in the ass. There's a group on here called Unorganized Religion that's great for philisophical discussions & things if you wanna go deeper then the surface scratching answers you'll get here, more room for more detail in group. Didn't wanna invite you if you're just gonna cause trouble, hence my ?
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I say yes, my atheism beliefs are based on faith. Faith in myself and what I see around me. Faith in my heart and that it speaks the truth to me. Faith that all those churchs with so called "speakers for God" are really just as unsure as anyone else. And faith that when I see people acting in a way that is "christ like", it is the farthest thing I want to be like. I'll trust my own heart, and take from Jesus the man, as I do people like Ghandi, and try to emulate them as much as possible.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 26, 2010