holding her own bottle?

when did ur LO start holding their own bottles? DD is 8 months going on 9 now and she seems so lazy with holding her own bottle lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My LO started holding hers @ 4 months but when she is tired she don't, so I do. I think its a good development that they do hold their own bottle, hand-eye coordination, learning that's she is in control of it. For the ones who say its danger for them I believe they've got it all wrong....bonding & eye contact can still be made in many ways. For example even tho my LO holds her's she's still looking @ me n smiling or getting ready 2 fall asleep! I wouldn't worry 2 much but if ur trying 2 do other things n the mean time... n that's y ur wondering I would try just sitting by ur LO instead of holding them that way they no that u don't have 2 hold it all the time but ur still there, he/she is prolly wanting the closeness n comfort so that shows them ur still there but they can do it themselves! Good luck, n best wishes!
    KileighsMom

Answer by KileighsMom at 12:28 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• mine's the same age & does the same thing, sometimes she's all about it & others she's like whatever!!!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My son wouldn't hold a bottle till he was 7 months or so, and the only reason he did it was because I wouldn't do it lol. I needed to do dishes, he wanted juice so I put him on the floor and gave him a bottle, told him if he was thirsty he would get it himself, and he did lol. My daughter started holding her own bottle at 4 months, feeding for her was never more than an inconvience, there was absolutely NO bonding at all
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• So hold it for her. the closeness is still needed . its supposed to mimick nursing so-to-speak so I wouldjust keep holding it for her. im sure she has the ability to do it, she just still needs to to hold her close and do it.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Babies aren't supposed to hold their own bottles. To make up for not breastfeeding, mothers should hold babies near their breasts to bottle feed. To enhance eye development the baby should be fed at each breast.

Its dangerous for babies to hold their own bottles. Mom, its you that is the lazy one.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:05 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• dont listen to gaill. she hasissues. my so doesnt like holdiing his bottle much. so i held it for him till he was 10 mts. he holds in it himself now. once in a while i hold it for him. but most of the time he likes to hold it.of course he also likes to play with it after he is done lol
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:30 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• GAILLL...maybe you should tell my son that, because since he was about 4 1/2 months he has REFUSED to let me hold his bottle. he wont drink from it until he yanks it out of my hand and holds it himself. im not sure where the danger lies in him holding his own bottle??? and as for bonding and eye development, there are MANY other excellent ways to accomplish this besides holding a bottle, like interactive toys with bright colors and lights, cuddling together while reading books, and driving remote control cars for the baby to chase (lol...my SO's favorite) among other things.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 12:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• My son is 9 months old, the only way he will hold it is if he is sitting in my lap and i place his hands on it. Other then that doing it himself he dont yet, its diffrent for all babies
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2010