pregnancy weight gain

I'm 23 weeks and 1 day pregnant with our first son and I'm wondering how much should I weigh now my dr said he is gonna be small because I have a thin pelvic bone and my pelv isn't very big but so far I have only gained 10 lbs it worries me I want him to be healthy because my friend is due in june and she is already bigger than me belly wise and weight.

navybabywhitter

Asked by navybabywhitter at 10:23 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• everyone is differnet i have lost 12 lbs and im 15 weeks and 1 day i seem to be losing and not gaining and the baby is doing good and i havent had morning sickness for about 3 weeks so i thought i would start gaining after morning sickness was gone so far no still losing weight
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• yeah i wouldn't compare to friends at all. some people get huge bellies. some people's bellies never get very big.

it's good to gain about 1-4 lbs in the first trimester, then about 1 lb per week during the 2nd trimester. but that is really just an average/guideline. it sounds like you are slightly below that but i honestly would not worry 1 iota.

about the pelvis thing, i don't know what you exactly mean but the pelvic opening widens during labor, especially if you move around and get in different positions. the only way it would affect anything would be if you have some sort of deformity (like from rickets, very rare in usa) or have had some sort of accident that messed up your pelvis.

gl!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Dear everyone is different. It all depends on you build. Some are bigger then others and some have smaller bellys. You can not base your bellys. It will make for a stressfull pregnancy. It is the same with weight. With my first I gained 33lbs with my sencond i gained 19lbs. My belly was also bigger with my second them my first. So even pregnancy to pregnancy is different. You need to look at I am healthy doing everything for my baby and I am not the same as everyone else. Sit back and enjoy you pregnancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• each body type has different weight gain....this is what my medical book says...
    Normal weight 25-35lb
    underweight 28-40lb
    over weight 15-25lb

When i was about how far along you are i didnt gain that much i thing i was right around 10-15lb. But im sure everything is fine. If there is a problem your doctor will tell you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• no deformities just a small woman tall and skinny lol.
    navybabywhitter

Answer by navybabywhitter at 10:44 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Answered at 10:44 AM on Jan. 26, 2010 by:
    * navybabywhitter
    no deformities just a small woman tall and skinny lol.

yeah then i wouldn't be concerned about pelvis AT ALL. there is some good info about this online, and in ina may's guide to childbirth.

i think you have nothing to worry about :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• With my first pregnancy I gained 55 lbs! I think it was mostly water, or at least at the end. I'm 24 weeks preggers now and have gained about 20 lbs already! I'm a healthy person with a active toddler.....so I'm on the run often. I don't worry about it and don't think you should either. God made your body the way he wanted it to be, and you will not "make" a baby that you're body can't have. Don't sweat it, just enjoy your pregnancy and don't compare yourself to others....you were created to be beautifully unique!

Julians_Momma

Answer by Julians_Momma at 10:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• The basic guidelines are 1-3 lbs for the first trimester and then 1/2 lb every week after that. You're pretty much on target with that. Every woman carries differently and gains weight in a different pattern, so comparisons are really fair.

Answer by missanc at 10:57 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• 10-15 pounds for most normal weight, 5-10 pounds for over weight and 15-20 for underweight.
    Anonymous

• Don't let the "small pelvis" thing stick in your head. Your body can't make a baby that is too big for it unless you have a serious genetic or endocrine problem. The PPs comment about reading about natural child birth and the pelvis is a good idea. Your pelvis can do amazing things when labor hormones get into your blood stream.

Your baby will grow right if you eat right. And what some people "show" is insane looking. Height and bone structure and so much goes into "looking" pregnant.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2010